Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   Rifle Hunting (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/rifle-hunting/)
-   -   Purchase oppertunity (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/rifle-hunting/9547-purchase-oppertunity.html)

Hunting Man 05-03-2012 12:59 AM

Purchase oppertunity

Son informed me tonight that I can order 1 firearm through his work at a 50% discount. Marlin, Browning, Remington, Savage, Winchester. No handguns though. I think I will take him up on the offer and need to make the decision on what brand, model? If you woul like to give some input I would greatly appreciate it. One model I like is the Browning X-bolt Hunter in 325 wsm. I don't have a truly big bore rifle and think this might fill the slot. Maybe a Remington 700 cdl in 300wm? Just my current thoughts. I even thought about the Marlin in 444 as I sold one many years ago like a dummy and a 375 mint Winchester. :ranting: I have some time to think it out.......:confused:

gfdeputy2 05-03-2012 06:30 AM

HM How about a Ruger???
Yeah I know

Hunting Man 05-03-2012 07:07 AM

I 'm not sure if they are on the list of available purchases. I hate to turn down a good deal especially when it's a firearm. I'm sure something will catch my eye> :rolleyes: While on the subject, something I've always wanted was an old double barrel. LC Smith, Fox, Parker, ect. Nice clean upland game double that's older than me but in better condition. :lol:

tomlightfield 05-03-2012 08:09 AM

Browning X Bolt would be hard to beat HM. I've found no negative reviews about this rifle anywhere. Then again, you can't go wrong with a 700 either.

Scorpion8 05-03-2012 12:06 PM

What would be the use of the new rifle? Just deer, or any heavy hunting? A Marlin Guide Gun in .45-70 is always nice, or even the 444 Marlin. How about a Remington 700 in .375 H&H Magnum so you'll be set for any game on earth.

spiker 05-03-2012 01:22 PM

Personally i wouldnt even think of the Remington over the Browning these days.While Remington once made quality weapons there custom shop doesnt even impress me anymore.Hm i believe your son works at Dicks so i would also look at some Tikkas imported by Beretta.Great shooters with a hammer forged barrel made by Sako.Otherwise the Browning all the way.

Hunting Man 05-03-2012 01:23 PM

Thanks for the comments, it really won't be a deer rifle per say, I have more than I will ever use again, just have collected too many, but I just hate to turn down a good buy. Heck I'm not opposed to going small on a really nice piece of wood. I only have 1 grandchild so far and she is only 1.5 but something for her from her granddad? I have a standard grade browning semi-auto 22, they have really nice higher end walnut grades that might be something for her? Right now as you can see I don't have a clue...:no:

Karl.Luhr 05-03-2012 05:39 PM

Have you considered getting a nice shotgun???

My Son is now into shooting Trap on the High School Trap Team and if I had 50% off I would be tempted to buy a Benelli 12ga Semi Auto. They are awful expensive at around 1400.xx but for 700.xx it would be a great buy. With a 50% discount you would want to buy something on the high side pricewise to maximize your discount. Just my 2 cents...

Karl

Hunting Man 05-03-2012 07:51 PM

Karl, I'm thinking the same way.

Hunting Man 05-05-2012 07:18 AM

Son says Tika's are on the list and at $300 plus tax might be something to think about.