Deer Hunting Forums banner

The Ruger American rifle my 2 cents

12K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  gfdeputy2 
#1 ·
We made a road trip down to Cabellas in Owatona MN over the weekend. We wanted to check their price on the Ruger Hawkeye in 30-06. It was 649.xx and we would have picked one up in 30-06 if they would have had two of them. I ruined my Son into always wanting to compare two and pick the nicest to bring home. While there we looked at the Ruger American. The price 329.xx buys a very nice rifle. I apologise to anyone that I chastized for buying one. The rifle feels very solid and I would spend some time at the counter going back and forth between the Marlin XL7 and Ruger American if I was buying a new entry level rifle. The bolt was so smooth on the new Ruger it will make the comparison is very tough. Prior to handling the Ruger American I hadn't seen an entry level rifle other than the Marlin XL7 that didn't look/feel like one. I will be fun to see how the Ruger Americans shoot at the range. I am sure that there will be lots of them at my range this fall during hunter sight-in days. I shot a couple of the Marlin XL7s they are winners, I have to think that Ruger has a real winner also with the Ruger American. Thanks Ruger.....

Karl

#3 ·
The Twin Cities Cabellas stores Owatona vs Rogers

The new Cabellas in Rogers MN located 20 minutes NW of Minneapolis/St Paul has really impacted the product that they have on display at the Owatona store. Owatona is 45 minutes South of the Twin Cities and I think that most of the Twin City buyers are driving NW rather than south. The Owatona store is still wonderful, it is just impossible to not notice that there are about 1/3 the long guns in racks on display compaired to what they had on display a couple of years ago. We have a travel trailer located on a seasonal campsite about 20 minutes from the Owatona Cabellas store and manage to get there about once a month during the summer months.

Karl

#4 ·
Just checked out this rifle on the Ruger website. It sure looks empressive and at a very competitive price. Lots of great features, too. My only criticism is a personal dislike of a tang safety. I traded in a Model 77 years ago, before it had the Winchester style safety, just because I would find the safety pushed up into the "fire" position. I believe this would happen when I had gloves on and I was gripping the rifle in a standard carry position which puts the hand right on top of that safety. Anyway, it's a nice gun, but watch that safety!

#5 ·
I only own 1 Ruger product an old Single Six 22. The thing that turned me off Ruger was a good friend could not get his new 77 to sight in. I am pretty good at the range and the best was 5" groups at 100 yds. He then replaced the scope with a Leupold and still barley got 2.5" 100yd groups. I'm sure it is a bedding issue but that rifle gave me fits as well as the owner. Anyway with the old stuff shooting so well and looking so nice it's hard for me to purchase any of the new stuff out there. :w00t: The Cabela's store in Dundee MI is a giant store and pretty cool to go see. I've moved most of my purchases though to Bass Pro Shops as it's a bit closer to me.

#6 ·
The thing that turned me off Ruger was a good friend could not get his new 77 to sight in. I am pretty good at the range and the best was 5" groups at 100 yds. He then replaced the scope with a Leupold and still barley got 2.5" 100yd groups.
I believe Ruger used to outsource their barrels, which weren't known for their accuracy. I think that issue has been resolved.

#7 ·
well I just picked up my daughters American in .308 this weekend & shoots great. Trigger has almost no creap & is very crisp just what I love
but it is almost too good shocked me on the first shot.
I have been a long time Ruger fan & after this one my kids see why
I will say they are light so be prepared for a little more recoil not bad but a little more then the M77 synthetic
I have shot 2 in the .30-06 & now the .308 & I think you will be impressed with the grouping
only thing I did not like is the mag. first round seems to be trickey to get into it but maybe I have not found the trick to it yet
I would NOT hesitate to buy another one & most likely will be purchasing a second expecially for the price I got it for:pickle:

#9 ·
HM
I have already decided that the M77 is only coming out for field & open hardwood hunting I will use the American for the thicker woods hunting
yes I know I said it was for my kids but this is where the second one fits into my evil plan :whistling:

#11 ·
We are still comparing the Ruger American to the Marlin

My Son after he gets his Ruger Hawkeye in 30-06 wants to buy a Rifle in 223 for varmits. We liked the Ruger American but I still like the Marlin XL7 in 30-06, and they are now offering it in 223. The new rifle is now offered with a 22 inch barrel in their short action. If he doesn't go with the Marlin for the 223 the Ruger American is his second choice. I didn't really like the way the mag locking into the Ruger American. The bolt was very smooth and the trigger felt real good.

Karl

#13 ·
WisconsinDeer
Not 100% sure of this but pretty close Not all barrels are outsourced
only some of the 10/22's are pretty sure all the rest are made by ruger

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.