Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 04-13-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfdeputy2 View Post
After some more research I think I am going with the .30-06 Bruce
I see Federal & Remington have low recoil "youth hunting" loads now
supposed to have a recoil comparable to a .30-30
I don't have any experience with Federal's low recoil ammo but I would beg you NOT to use the Remington managed recoil ammo, especially for hunting.
I think Remington's managed recoil ammo is a great ammunition for the range, It's great ammo to help get a youth shooter comfortable with shooting his/her weapon but
as a hunting load, I have personally witnessed how Remington's managed recoil performed Extremely poor as a hunting load.
I would not recommend Remington's Managed recoil for anything other than practice ammo, hopefully Federal loads will perform better but I'd be cautious using any managed recoil ammo for hunting.
Good Luck

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2012, 12:22 PM

thanks for the info Bruce
I will try them for the kids on the range & we will reload some lighter then normal loads ourselves

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright
Old 04-13-2012, 03:40 PM
B&C 160 Class

Gf maybe look at staring her off with some range time on something like a caldwell lead sled.It will absorb the recoil,but if i recall doesnt she shoot turkey loads?I think if you go slow she will be fine and ive told you guys bfore the 3006 is the greatest.This is where Hm chimes in.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:38 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Have your friend reload with reduced loads in H4895

On the Hogdon website reloading area they list reduced recoil loads using H4895. The beauty of H4895 is that it tolerates reduced loads without issues in pressure. The rule is find any load listed for the bullet you are going to use.

Here is what they say

Karl

Hodgdon Powder Company developed the following reduced loads for use on deer and similarly sized game animals. The
bullets chosen were originally designed for single shot pistols and their lower velocities. These rifle loads have been
developed to closely approximate those pistol velocities, resulting in similar performance on game animals. Thus,
producing loads effective to 200 yards with minimal recoil.
H4895 powder was chosen because it is the slowest burning propellant that ignites uniformly in reduced charges. For years
H4895 has been the top choice of cast bullet shooters. For this type of shooting, loads are reduced even more than the
hunting loads listed here. To create this type of target and plinking loads, we recommend our 60% rule with H4895: Refer
to our latest reloading manual or the Reloading Data Center found on this website; take the maximum H4895 charge listed
for any given cartridge and multiply it by 60%. The shooter can create a 1500 to 2100 f/s load, depending on the bullet
weight shown. This works ONLY where H4895 is listed. DO NOT use H4895 in a cartridge where it has not been shown.
Call Hodgdon Powder Company if additional information is needed. Loads may be adjusted up or down to achieve best
accuracy. However, DO NOT reduce by more than an additional 10%.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:44 PM

Spiker, what exactly do you mean? I like all rifles and calibers! I may have a favorite one though, lets see.... Sav 300 ya that's it!
Old 04-14-2012, 11:52 AM
B&C 100 Class

I own both of these calibers. I use both each year as well. Both kill deer just fine. I will say the 308 is a bit more accurate. I have confidence in both. The 308 is a short action and the case design allows a more efficient powder burn. Recoil is lighter. My 16 y/o daughter shoots this when we hunt together. I took a doe last year at 140 yards with the 308 and it blew the opposite shoulder out of its socket and was hanging outside the deer. I shot a Buck at 100 with the .06 and he dropped straight down. Both effective shots. If it comes down to recoil the 308 is the one to choose.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:33 AM
B&C 160 Class

Old 04-16-2012, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiker View Post
Gf maybe look at staring her off with some range time on something like a caldwell lead sled.It will absorb the recoil,but if i recall doesnt she shoot turkey loads?I think if you go slow she will be fine and ive told you guys bfore the 3006 is the greatest.This is where Hm chimes in.
yes Spiker she does shoot Turkey loadsmy youngest (13) shoots a 20Ga 3" mags my oldest (soon to be 16) is shooting my 12 auto with2 3/4" loads
She also shoots my 1911 I know it is different being a handgun but no fear shooting
I do feel they can handle it & I just don't want to get something like a .243
I can get the .06 or the .308 for under $200 but only 1 .308 was available & I think that is gone only other choice is a .270 & I already have one in the M77 I guess I could lighten the load in the .270 but I really don't like my other daughter using the mini 30 it is just to darn heavy lugging in the woods

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright
Old 04-16-2012, 07:54 PM
B&C 160 Class

Dep if she has no fear of the handgun and them turkey loads you have no worry.The 243 is nice but i agree they will want to step up in time,i personally dont care for the 243 for whitetails and i agree with your decision on 308 or 06.Good luck and hope she enjoys it.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:24 AM

Well I had my youngest shoot the ole model 99 & she loved it so I put my name in on the only .308 that was available for this deal so I hope it is still available just hope the recoil is close to the .300 savage
all the handguns & Rifles I have shot over the years I don't recall ever shooting a .308 & I have shot a lot of different calibers from .22 to the .480 Ruger Funny that one gun I never shot would have been a common round like a .308

Steven Wright

Last edited by gfdeputy2; 04-17-2012 at 06:28 AM.