Pre-64 model 70 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 04-10-2012, 04:12 PM

Default Pre-64 model 70

Well on a pretty good high right now, no not drug induced, this is my first Winchester pre-64 model 70 in 243. it's an early 1950's and near mint condition. The owner had the custom scabbard made for it also. I was right on the scope it's a weaver 2.5x8 however, I've never seen this type of cross hairs before. He called them the screen door model as there are a series of verticle and horizional lines that form a rectangle much like a screen door. The very center is then a square set of multiple cross hairs. Very different and cool. He threw in some ammo and a belt shell holder. Today is a good day for the HM collector! Karl, you ever seen one of those Weaver scopes as described, very strange. I never knew they even made such a thing. Oh, I put 8 bills out for it and think it was a good buy in today's market.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001 (5).jpg (97.4 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by Hunting Man; 04-10-2012 at 10:39 PM. Reason: add
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2012, 04:39 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default No that reticle is new to me, but sounds cool...

I haven't saw that type before. Is it externel adjustments on the rings for windage and elevation? I think that you should loan me the rifle for a couple years and I will do a long term evaluation on the rifle. I never owned one of the real pre 64's, you are living right my friend...

Karl
Old 04-10-2012, 07:45 PM

Karl, it has external adjustments on the outside of the rear rings. Seems to put pressure on the scope body to move it where you want to. I've seen a lot of scopes over the years but nothing like this. Right now feel like a kid at Christmas. Spent last two hours cleaning/waxing, some of it was drool. My buddies in PA have a couple of the model 70's, I just migrated towards Remington over my early years.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:39 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default I think external adjustments are a little fragile

Not that we ever want to hit our rifles or scopes on anything but I think that the externel adjustment models I have seen looked more fragile. It is really cool that you have that Model 70 to shoot. I wonder if the twist rate has changed over the years on the 243? I know that Remington made a mistake with the picking the wrong twist rate on the 244 Remington later changed to a faster twist and called it the 6mm Rem. I will bet that you will be having fun shooting 95-100gr bullets in yours. Recoil will be non existant.

Karl
Old 04-10-2012, 10:38 PM

I will probably re-scope it with better optics. I shot my first buck with a 243 borrowed, and never added one to my collection. Looking forward to putting some rounds through it just to see....
Old 04-11-2012, 06:18 AM
B&C 120 Class

Very nice looking rifle.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:30 AM

That's a fine looking rifle HM, Will look nice standing with the others in your safe.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:18 AM
B&C 120 Class

That scope sounds like it has the "TMR" or Tactical Military Reticle, which operates much in the same way as a mil dot reticle, but gives more info if you know how to use it. I'm not well versed on this stuff, someone who has been to sniper school or possibly on a SWAT team would know how to utilize the marks, but knowing the system can give you the approx. size of your target, the approx. distance and then the external adjust's allow you to dial in for bullet drop and windage correction according to that, it gets pretty complicated.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:43 AM
B&C 160 Class

Congrats HM great looking rifle.Are you planning on using it alot if so give us the range report.You gotta be due for another gun safe buy now.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:29 AM

TLF, I'm not sure what the military had in the 50's but it doesn't look like a military type set-up to me. I need to do some history review on the Weaver scope line from that period. The scope has three hairs per side and top to bottom, then a square in the middle with cross hairs centered. There are contrasting hair thicknesses all around. It may have been something to appreciate back then but to me way to busy, as I don't see the reason for so many lines. I will re-scope the rifle with better glass, modern rings and scope adjustments. The rifle deserves quality glass but my budget has been blown out of the water big time and 2012 purchases have officially been curtailed so maybe I'll rob something off one of the other rifles for now Thanks for all the comments everyone. I wasn't in the market to buy anything but then Easter Sunday the offer was made and you know me couldn't resist. The seller is in his 80's and thinning out his remaining collection. He has a few more things to sell off hopefully in 2013, 2014........