Rifles and Bullets? - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 03-25-2012, 07:52 PM
Scrub Buck

Default Rifles and Bullets?

Alright guys, I need some clarification on this concept that certain bullets shoot better from certain rifles. First, does anybody know the “why” of that? Secondly, I recently purchased a Weatherby/Howa .30-06, considering there are over a dozen different manufactures of ammo, not counting the number of different rounds they manufacture, at $20 to $40 per box this could prove to be an expensive experiment. Has anyone out there had experience with a Weatherby/Howa .30-06 and what rounds tend to shoot best with this rifle?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2012, 08:20 PM
B&C 140 Class

get with member kemster99 he has a howa in 308 and could probaly send you in the right direction
Old 03-25-2012, 09:12 PM

Sorry I have no exp. with that type of 3006.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:30 PM
B&C 140 Class

Every rifle is different. Just try a few boxes in your price range with the bullet type you want and see how they shoot.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcene View Post
Alright guys, I need some clarification on this concept that certain bullets shoot better from certain rifles. First, does anybody know the “why” of that? Secondly, I recently purchased a Weatherby/Howa .30-06, considering there are over a dozen different manufactures of ammo, not counting the number of different rounds they manufacture, at $20 to $40 per box this could prove to be an expensive experiment. Has anyone out there had experience with a Weatherby/Howa .30-06 and what rounds tend to shoot best with this rifle?
The why is usually due to the quality of materials being used in manufacturing the ammo, like the powder brand/type, the bullet brand/type, the brass casing brand/type,
the primers, Each plays a role in the final performance of the cartridge. I hope that helps give you a little better understanding of the why.

The cartridge you choose is going to be based on how well you and your weapon can shoot each ammo you try.
I don't own that particular rifle but I would give Hornady Superformance a try I've heard that Weatherby rifles will shoot Hornady ammo very well.
Good Luck.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:09 AM
B&C 140 Class

Range time is never a bad thing. The way i look at it is, are you gonna be happy with 2" - 3" inch groups at 100 yds? if so , any ammo will do. Do you want to be confident in you and your rifles ability to make a tough shot if need be? Then try shooting some different brands and bullet weights to find out what your rifle shoots the best.

I don't reload, but with most of my hunting rifles , i have tried many different brands and weights to see what shoots best. Even with factory ammo, i want to shoot the best , most accurate group i can. It can happen.

There is a load out there, when combined with your barrel length, twist rate, and head spacing, that will shoot better then most people can shoot. What i mean by that, is most rifles shoot better than the person shooting them. lol.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:36 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default I would recommend 165gr Remington Core-locts

When I first got my rifle it was a 30-06 and I had great luck using regular green box Remingtons. The 165 gr is the perfect balance point for this cartridge. Remingtons are usually the lower price ammo and that gives you more practice for the buck. Double check that the mounts and rings are nice and tight prior to taking it to the range.

Karl
Old 03-26-2012, 04:49 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Remove the bolt and bore sight it

Save some ammo and make sure to bore sight your rifle at 25 yards at the range prior to shooting it. I always pull the bolt out and just adjust the scope to center the crosshairs on the bullseye with the bullseye also centered in the bore.

Karl
Old 03-26-2012, 10:45 PM
B&C 100 Class

Bore righting will save you alot of time and money. I personally don't understand the cocept of different bullets shooting better or worse. I use a 150 grain silvertip super x Winchester. Thy group well out of my rifle and they Airnt very expensive which help about alot! :)
Old 03-26-2012, 11:01 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default All rifles have tolerances when they are built..

All rifles are not created equal, they each have there own soul in a way. I have seen two rifles from the same company in the same caliber prefer one factory load over one the other likes. I think it might be the minor variations in the build process. As milling machines wear tolerances change and that changes what they will like on not like. One might have a tighter chamber still within build specs while the other is on the looser side. This variance is even greater when you compare two different Company rifles. It is a Chevy/Ford thing. The company that makes rifle A tunes their rifle for say Federal Premium Ammo, where another may say set up for Hornady. It is great that you are getting quality performance out of your choice of Win factory, you might get better or worse from another Company's ammo. I reload and have a load that performs great, I don't fell there is a reason to try to IMPROVE it so I don't.

Karl