So, how do you define an "old-timer"? - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 03-20-2012, 02:10 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default So, how do you define an "old-timer"?

To all you young hunters (and maybe for you old guys too), here's something to think about:
An Old-Timer
There was a time when I could run up mountains with my rifle and pack and think nothing of it. In fact, I could do it more than once in the same day if I had to.
I never felt uncomfortable. Even in the wettest, coldest weather, it was a welcomed challenge, if not out-and-out fun.
I could drag a deer out with or without help - no big deal.
It's not quite like that any more.
I look for more level ground to hunt, or go really slow and easy up hill and down.
I pick my days - not too cold... or too wet... or too windy. Comfort means a lot more than it used to.
I use a deer hauler (or my daughter's boyfriend) to get the animals back to the truck.
And I shoot what I call "old man's deer". That is a deer that's just big enough so that I'm not ashamed when I get it back to the truck, but just small enough so I don't have a heart attack getting it there.
I don't have anything to prove any more.

You guys who are over sixty know what I'm talking about, you younger guys, if you are lucky enough, will find out!

Last edited by onehorse; 03-20-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2012, 03:37 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default What you are saying makes sense to me at 54

By the sound of your post you are just a lot smarter than you used to be. I don't think it was ever fun going up and down in the mountains you just were enjoying yourself so much your didn't notice.

Karl
Old 03-20-2012, 03:40 PM

One horse I am with ya (getting there at least) But my first response to your question was going to be Hunting Man Sorry HM you must have known someone was going to say it

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright
Old 03-20-2012, 04:44 PM
B&C 140 Class

Well here I sit drenched with sweat can't hardly put one foot in front of the other. Man that was a hard 400yd walk up hill to my box blind. I wonder was it the two heart attacks? 60lbs overweight?, two steel knees? high blood pressure?
diabetes ? or just 65 years of abuse and use of this old body?
At the end of the day after all you young guys have run up and down the hill a few times, I'm ready to leave. Here comes my boy! you ready to go eat supper old timer? Yep I say, then I remember;son go over and get my ten point so we can get it down off the hill, damn I almost forgot to get that thing!!!!!!
an old timer
daddus
Old 03-21-2012, 06:30 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfdeputy2 View Post
One horse I am with ya (getting there at least) But my first response to your question was going to be Hunting Man Sorry HM you must have known someone was going to say it
Hell, Hunting Man is just a kid!
Old 03-21-2012, 08:58 PM

At 58 I still have a pretty good giddy up in my step. I find myself like One Horse and have slowed my hunting down some maybe enjoying the woods time more now than when I was younger. I can remember crawling through ice watered corn fields for ducks and geese or bow hunting the UP of Michigan in -20* and really enjoying myself. Now seems like I can't take the cold very well. Feet and hands are becoming a big problem. While I have learned to hunt without my Dad and Brother, I still have a small group of hunting buddies to share new hunting stories and trips with. If the good Lord allows me to have a few more hunting trips I'd like to go on one major hunt with my son. We'll see! I'm not to old to kick some major butt if provoked!
Old 03-22-2012, 05:54 AM

"We'll see! I'm not to old to kick some major butt if provoked! "
WOW wonder who got you upset

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright
Old 03-22-2012, 06:48 AM
B&C 120 Class

Sure Dep, get him all riled up so the rest of us can't talk to him. Don't forget buddy, Ohio 'aint that far from NH!! HAHAHA
Old 03-22-2012, 09:34 AM
B&C 160 Class

Im 41 with 2 artificial discs in my neck thanks to a life of making a living with my back.Now 3 years ago i went to the top of the mountain in my area and shot a big 8pt with the bow.I shot him at 245pm and dragged him back to the trailer and got back at 635pm.When i look at where i shot him and dragged him from i must have been nuts.I have no desire to ever do that again without a quad.Id be just as happy with a fat doe hunting behind the trailer.Guess im getting old too!
Old 03-22-2012, 09:39 AM
B&C 160 Class

If HM is mad now i cant wait for TATOR to chime in.Another sign of getting old is CRANKINESS