So, how do you define an "old-timer"? - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 03-22-2012, 11:01 AM

Spiker is trying to be funny.... I said trying .. here is Spiker when he finds out I'm on vacation ....... I got some decent sleep last night after moving a ton of mulch yesterday. Have to go back for another 1/2 load to finish today. It's been in the 80's which is rare/strange for March in NW Ohio, we should still have snow piles on the ground. I even mowed my grass. Not bad for an old guy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2012, 11:13 AM
B&C 180 Class

GEEZ... Reading all these posts reminds me of a Nursing Home newsletter! I feel like my life-long dog just died. Man... I need to go eat some sugar or something to pep me back up.

GFD- thanks for filling in for me on the "old timer" while I was absent.

BTW guys--- i have lost 40lbs so far and still going!
Old 03-22-2012, 03:15 PM
B&C 140 Class

congrats on the weight loss tator!!!
daddus
Old 03-29-2012, 01:23 AM
B&C 140 Class

Well, I'm a little more than five years shy of that big six-oh mark that someone put out there. As y'all have noticed in most of my pictures, I retrieve the deer I shoot in a wheel barrow to "drag" them back to the house. The house sits on the higher part of the property with the hunting area in the property's lowest. And y'all have seen the deer I shot opening day last season - it was part of the contest someone else won . . . dang it!! . . .
But to get on with the story, the wheel barrow was purchased right after we bought the house back in '98. It's been sitting outside in the weather ever since, most of the time propped up against the side of the house somewhere. To make a long story short, that buck took off and headed up to the top of the small ridge at the back side of the property before dropping. Found him, took a picture where he fell, then headed back to the house to drop off the rifle and grab the wheel barrow.
Took several loooong minutes to get the buck into the danged wheel barrow to begin with, wheel barrow handles groaning almost as much as I was with the strain of the buck's weight. Older son was at work, younger son was in town with his friends, and wasn't about to admit to mama that I couldn't do this by myself. Had to turn the wheel barrow around and walk backwards down the hill to keep from losing the balance across the rocky terrain, only to have one of the wheel barrow handles snap from age/rot/weather/whatever. . . . .and the wheelbarrow falls over spilling the buck back onto the ground. (Hate that when it happens!)
I look at the wheel barrow and think I can get the truck back to this part of the property then remember . . . . daughter has the truck, she drove it to work at Wally World. That leaves mama's Suburban. You have to understand that mama's Suburban is her Precious, her Baby. So the idea of even asking to drive her Precious through the brush to get to the back side of the property is saying something.
Much to my surprise, she agrees. . . . but now what do I use for the buck . . . I don't dare even think of putting it in the back. Ah, the shelf thingy that mounts to the receiver . . . . yeah, that ought to do the trick.
Found out that it was much easier getting the buck into the wheel barrow and the wheel barrow up right than trying to maneuver that buck onto that receiver mounted shelf thingy, even as low to the ground as it was. Eventually . . . . . after almost twenty minutes of going back and forth between front legs, head/antlers, hind legs, and anything in between . . . . I get the buck onto the receiver mounted shelf thingy so that I can begin the slow, three hundred yard drive back to the house WITHOUT scraping mama's Precious on any brush.

Mama came out when I got to the house NOT to look at the deer, but to inspect her Precious to ensure I hadn't put a single scrape on it. Only then did she look (more like glance) at the deer and tell me "Nice roasts!" and walk back inside.

First thing I did that week was order myself some new wheel barrow handles so I could have them mounted before the next weekend. Wasn't about to have to go through THAT mess again.

P.S. Does that mean I get to "qualify" for old timer five years early???

RR

Last edited by rdrader2002; 03-29-2012 at 01:25 AM.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:03 PM
B&C 180 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrader2002 View Post
Well, I'm a little more than five years shy of that big six-oh mark that someone put out there. As y'all have noticed in most of my pictures, I retrieve the deer I shoot in a wheel barrow to "drag" them back to the house. The house sits on the higher part of the property with the hunting area in the property's lowest. And y'all have seen the deer I shot opening day last season - it was part of the contest someone else won . . . dang it!! . . .
But to get on with the story, the wheel barrow was purchased right after we bought the house back in '98. It's been sitting outside in the weather ever since, most of the time propped up against the side of the house somewhere. To make a long story short, that buck took off and headed up to the top of the small ridge at the back side of the property before dropping. Found him, took a picture where he fell, then headed back to the house to drop off the rifle and grab the wheel barrow.
Took several loooong minutes to get the buck into the danged wheel barrow to begin with, wheel barrow handles groaning almost as much as I was with the strain of the buck's weight. Older son was at work, younger son was in town with his friends, and wasn't about to admit to mama that I couldn't do this by myself. Had to turn the wheel barrow around and walk backwards down the hill to keep from losing the balance across the rocky terrain, only to have one of the wheel barrow handles snap from age/rot/weather/whatever. . . . .and the wheelbarrow falls over spilling the buck back onto the ground. (Hate that when it happens!)
I look at the wheel barrow and think I can get the truck back to this part of the property then remember . . . . daughter has the truck, she drove it to work at Wally World. That leaves mama's Suburban. You have to understand that mama's Suburban is her Precious, her Baby. So the idea of even asking to drive her Precious through the brush to get to the back side of the property is saying something.
Much to my surprise, she agrees. . . . but now what do I use for the buck . . . I don't dare even think of putting it in the back. Ah, the shelf thingy that mounts to the receiver . . . . yeah, that ought to do the trick.
Found out that it was much easier getting the buck into the wheel barrow and the wheel barrow up right than trying to maneuver that buck onto that receiver mounted shelf thingy, even as low to the ground as it was. Eventually . . . . . after almost twenty minutes of going back and forth between front legs, head/antlers, hind legs, and anything in between . . . . I get the buck onto the receiver mounted shelf thingy so that I can begin the slow, three hundred yard drive back to the house WITHOUT scraping mama's Precious on any brush.

Mama came out when I got to the house NOT to look at the deer, but to inspect her Precious to ensure I hadn't put a single scrape on it. Only then did she look (more like glance) at the deer and tell me "Nice roasts!" and walk back inside.

First thing I did that week was order myself some new wheel barrow handles so I could have them mounted before the next weekend. Wasn't about to have to go through THAT mess again.

P.S. Does that mean I get to "qualify" for old timer five years early???

RR

YES! BTW- don't type so much, HM fell asleep 4 times while reading it. (it's what old people do!)
Old 03-29-2012, 04:06 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default You have Sons for a reason...

If your Son had his cell phone on him you could have called him for an assist with the Deer. He could have invited his buddies to join in the fun.

Karl