Which is the better rifle - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 03-14-2012, 05:47 PM
Unregistered

Default Which is the better rifle

I am trying to get into hunting and I need a deer rifle. I live in SC so I will be hunting white tail deer. I am trying to trade my AK-47 for a good deer rifle and I have a few offers. I want to know which offer is the best for me. My AK is worth around 1000 with all that I have. The offers are:

1) Ruger M77 Mark II 308 with a simmons scope

2) Remington 7400 270 semi auto

3) Browning BAR 300 winmag

4) Ruger M77 7mm

Or should I just try and sell the AK and buy something different?

Thanks for your help!!
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2012, 07:33 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Be careful with used Firearms

Just like with used cars, used Firearms their condition is everything. Most rifles will easily last multiple generations. If they are cared for and not allowed to corrode or have been used as a cricket bat. I would be nervious about buying a used semi-auto. The Remington 7400 is a good one, the Browning BAR is considered by many the best semi-auto. The problem with semi-autos is there is a lot of parts that have to work together when it fires. Sometimes they develope problems and either they go to the gunsmith or the person sells them to someone else. Buying a used bolt action is a pretty safe proposition. A new Ruger M77 Hawkeye bolt action is around 700.xx. The used Simmons scope is worth around 50.xx. If you truely have someone willing to give you 1000.xx for your AK with its accessories I would take them up on it. Used rifles sell for around 50-75% of their new price. Either of those used Ruger M77s would probibly sell for around 500.xx at a Gunshow. The real beauty of selling your AK outright is that you can get whatever you want in a new rifle in the caliber you want. I always suggest a buyer plan on spending around 150.xx for a decent scope and it would be easy to start new with a quality bolt action and decent scope for under 1000.xx.

Karl
Old 03-14-2012, 07:37 PM
B&C 140 Class

Out of those I'd go with one of the Ruger M77s.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:50 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Avoid Magnums unless they are needed...

Several of the rifles you were looking at were Magnums. There really is to much of a good thing when you start looking a Magnums. If you are using this new rifle for Deer not Elk or Bear then standard calibers are the way to go. Any of the standard calibers .308win, .270win, or 30-06 will not let you down. The general rule of thumb is a Magnum will recoil 25% more. Most shooters at the range are not scared of their rifles when they are chambered in standard calibers. The same is not true of many Magnum shooters. If you aren't used to shooting Deer rifles why get beat up learning to shoot them.

Karl
Old 03-14-2012, 09:42 PM
Scrub Buck

Not sure why .30-06 is not in the mix, but worth looking into. The wide range of bullets grains makes this rifle good for everything from coyotes to elk. Before buying a used rifle, run a patch with a good bore cleaner on it through the barrel, if it comes out nasty, think twice.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:33 PM
Unregistered

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I really wanted to just sell the AK and buy a gun but I have had no offers on buying it. I do have a guy offering a Benelli 30-06 for trade. It seems like a good trade as new they retail for almost $1200. I wanted to know if anyone has used or knows anything on the Benelli 30-06 and their thoughts on it.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:40 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default The Benelli R1 in 30-06

My buddy has one and I did get to shoot it with him. His is the comfort-tech stock(Plastic) instead of walnut. The standard barrel length is 22 inches and that is what his has. Benelli did offer one for a while with a 20 inch so the one you are looking at could have one of those.
My observations-
1. Benelli makes a good rifle.
2. The rifle seemed longer than the Remington 742 I was familar with.
3. Some of the ergonomics are different, location of some of the buttons are different.
4. The magazine is very tall and will keep you from carrying it with your hand infront of the trigger guard.
5. The trigger pull drove me nuts, I am guessing 5 to 7 lbs of force.

Bottom line-
I would rather own/shoot a Remington 750 or a Browning BAR, but I would never be a jerk and tell him that.

Karl
Old 03-16-2012, 11:06 PM
B&C 140 Class

I am trying to get into hunting and I need a deer rifle. I live in SC so I will be hunting white tail deer. I am trying to trade my AK-47 for a good deer rifle and I have a few offers. I want to know which offer is the best for me. My AK is worth around 1000 with all that I have. The offers are:

1) Ruger M77 Mark II 308 with a simmons scope

There you go. You have my "vote".

RR
Old 03-17-2012, 11:48 AM
B&C 140 Class

For the type of hunting you described, the .308 would be great (of the choices you gave). I'm a bolt fan, although I've owned semis too, so I'd go with the Ruger 77. I'd dump the Simmons scope for a better quality glass.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:12 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default More input on the Benelli R1

As usual I was not totally correct on my first evaluation of the R1. I decided to check on you.tube comparing disassembly and cleaning on the following semi-autos, Remington 7400, Browning BAR, and Benelli R1. Both the Remington and the Browning are not going to be easy for the average shooter/hunter to takedown to clean from the breach end. The Benelli is very easy to breakdown. The Benelli M2 shotgun is even easier but I am comparing rifles here. After watching several videos I am going to get out with my Buddy and shoot his R1 again. I have a new perspective on it. I think that a even trade for your AK would be a very smart one. You won't be sorry.

Karl