long range shooting - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 03-04-2012, 03:28 PM
Scrub Buck

Default long range shooting

Once again I need the clubs advice.
I'm going on an elk hunt in November. My friend that went on a hunt with this outfitter last year told me to practice out to 600 yards. He also suggested changing the turrets on my Leuopold Vari X 3 3.5-10.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2012, 07:04 PM

Your friend knows from 1st hand experience so take in any advice he has to offer. Good Luck.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:16 PM
B&C 140 Class

before you go talk to the guide that is taking you and ask him.we will know what will be going on.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:42 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Guide having you practice to 600 yards....

I have been with a guy that did take an Elk at 450 yards. The outfitter told him prior to the shot that it was 400 yards. The Elk was showly walking away from him. The Guide said hold on the base of the antlers. He held on the bottom of the neck. The rifle was on but he had placed the acutrack scope crosshairs and fired. The extra 50 yards made it strike low and hit the Elk right below the tail. Had he put the scope on 450 I think he would have struck where he wanted. That was a very long shot at an Idaho Elk. Hopefully your's will be much shorter. I think outfitters tell clients to plan on a long shot so they practice and then do well with a shorter one. My outfitter complained about the fact that some clients show up with cannons but can't shoot them. After not getting an instant Elk down and dead those hunters blame their rifles. My outfitter said that he would rather hunters show up with their Deer rifles in standard calibers if they are accurate with them. He complained that all the magazines make it sound like you need a cannon. You just need to put a good bullet that stays together in the right place.

Karl
Old 03-05-2012, 04:50 PM

Without a whole lot of practice and perfect hunting conditions and shot there's no way 99% of us should try a 600 yd shot. Maybe the guide wants a hunter to practice 600 yds and when the perfect 350-400 comes up you can make it. I wouldn't book an outfitter that expects his hunters to shoot 600 yds. I would want a 300 win magmum to start with and go up, 300 WM, 338 win mag ect. Rifle would have best scope possible and bi-pod to even try a shot like that. I can see a lot of wounded elk running around.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:59 PM
B&C 120 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting Man View Post
Without a whole lot of practice and perfect hunting conditions and shot there's no way 99% of us should try a 600 yd shot. Maybe the guide wants a hunter to practice 600 yds and when the perfect 350-400 comes up you can make it. I wouldn't book an outfitter that expects his hunters to shoot 600 yds. I would want a 300 win magmum to start with and go up, 300 WM, 338 win mag ect. Rifle would have best scope possible and bi-pod to even try a shot like that. I can see a lot of wounded elk running around.
Boy you ain't kiddin' HM!!!!!!!
Old 03-11-2012, 08:48 AM
B&C 140 Class

I've been away for a while, but, as always, Hunting Man is still giving good advice! Asking a hunter to practise out to 600 yds. is one thing; actually encouraging a shot at that range, even on something as large as an elk, is criminal. Look, I live in the best elk country in the U.S.; I also shoot magnum rifles as well as non-magnums, and have hunted with outfitters and without them, so I have a little firsthand experience with this subject. When I was a taxidermist, I met dozens of hunters who wounded lots of animals or needed multiple shots to finish one off because they were afraid of their own rifles - recoil made them flinch on every shot. Strick with a rifle you can shoot well. If that is a magnum, fine, but most rifles in the .270 - 30/06 class will kill any elk at respectable ranges. Use a well-constructed bullet, know your game's anatomy - where the vitals are both when broadside and at any reasonable angle. And practise at realistic ranges. Here's a good rule of thumb on how to decide about taking a long shot or not: If you are positive you will hit the animal and drop it, squeeze away. If you are not sure of the distance, if the wind is blowing, if you don't have a good rest, etc. - basically if you are only hoping you will hit it, don't shoot! Leave the trick shots to Annie Oakley! Good luck with your hunt.
(You might want to read my article on Long Range Shooting in the Hunting Tips section of this site. It is very comprehensive and has lots of practical advice on this subject. And a pretty good photo of a bull that I dropped in its tracks at a reasonable long range shot.)

Last edited by onehorse; 03-11-2012 at 08:58 AM.
Old 03-11-2012, 02:19 PM

onehorse, it's good to hear from you. I hope the winter was mild in your part of the country.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:21 PM
B&C 120 Class

My gun club requires qualification to shoot 600 yards. Shooting these distances requires alot of prep for the variables. In my opinion you do not have the time or proper setup to shoot these distances in the wild. Pick another outfitter.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:40 PM

Amend, Rozman62!