Just how important is it - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 03-06-2012, 12:30 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default I recommend that you practice at 50 yards with him

One thing that I did with my Sons is to have them shoot at 50 yards instead of 100 yards. Their groups then were all on the paper and their confidence went up as the groups got smaller. Where we hunt a 50 yard shot is about the max you would get. I like the suggestion of shooting the Deer in the lungs if it is broadside to you. I taught my Sons to shoot for the shoulder one third of the way up the body. We use 30-06s I have no worry about hitting solid bone and I want that Deer down immediately if possible. I saw you say that you will be using Premium ammo using Partitions for the bullets. Those bullets are wonderful but for the cost you could buy twice as many Remington Core-locks or Federal Fusions and get alot more shooting practice in. There is no subsitute for actually putting rounds down range when a new shooter is on their steep learning curve.

Karl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2012, 03:59 PM

I know we are splitting hairs, no pun intended, here but I value every piece of deer meat to take out the shoulders. I know it drops them quickly, but a double lung shot wastes virtually no meat and is a perfect killing shot resulting in a quick harvest. Again, please don't take this as a shot debate it is not, just an opinion. I like the 50 yd target idea for centerfire rifles. I would add that starting with pellet rifles and 22's builds up youth confidence when moving up to centerfire rifles. The quickest way to destroy a youth shooter is to over gun them and get them afraid of the recoil.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:38 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Lung shots are a winner...

I agree that it probibly is a better shot, and not wasting delicious venison is a huge bonus. I just always figured if you see the front leg and just follow it up a little into the body of the animal it is pretty idiot proof. The 243 Win that he will be shooting would definitely make a mess out of the lungs on any Deer. The animal can't got far without lungs.

Karl
Old 03-06-2012, 09:01 PM
B&C 140 Class

but a double lung shot wastes virtually no meat and is a perfect killing shot resulting in a quick harvest.

Between what HM said in his quote above and what TG said about shot placement, I can't add anything different. Shot four deer this past season, three were double lung. One dropped in place, one took six steps and dropped, one went maybe 30 yards before dropping. Blew it and missed most of the vitals on deer number four. Had to go chase that one all over the countryside before finally being able to put it out of its misery. Bad for both me and the deer and regret (now) pulling the trigger in the first place.

Start shooting targets at 25 yards until groupings are tight before moving out to 50 yards. Only when groupings are tight at 50 yards would I move out to 100 yards. Kind of defeating the purpose if he can't hit the target consistently at 100 yards and you have to figure out what he's doing wrong. It's SOOOO much easier to do this at 25 and 50 yards.

My $.02 on the subject . . . . .

RR

P.S. BTW, my youngest son started out on a Savage Model 11 in .243. He's 16 now and has 'graduated' to the model 111 in .270.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:38 PM
B&C 160 Class

Tg,Hm,Karl& RR spot on great advice esp.bout the pellet guns and 22 cal.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:42 AM
Scrub Buck

Just echoing what has already been said. Shot placement is every thing in regard to achieving a quick humane kill. Practice and discipline likely being the two components in accomplishing the best shot placement possible.
Idally you will be with your son so you can talk him through his first couple of on deer shots. With a .243 IMO you are best to restrict yourself to heart and lung shots.
Best of luck!