Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 02-07-2012, 09:54 PM
B&C 100 Class

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrader2002 View Post
"You wouldn't consider a core lokt to be a lower grade bullet?"

Nope! I don't consider Remington Core-Lokt to be a "lower grade bullet". I'm not going to argue with the "success" I've had over the years (counting out human error). You see, I'm a firm believer in the old adage - don't try to fix it if it ain't broke!

They work for me in every caliber I own from .243 up to .300 Savage.

Best advice I can give is for you to get a couple boxes of several different brand names or types of ammo and find out what works best for YOU AND YOUR RIFLE. Remington Core-Lokt's seem to work well for me in all of my rifles, plus they're relatively inexpensive when compared to a lot of the other brands/offerings.

RR

Thanks I will try the Remington core-lokt then! Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2012, 07:14 AM
Scrub Buck

The core lokt is a deer killer for sure. The only issue I have had with them is some of my rifles did not group them as well as they did different loads. But if your gun shoots them well, they are a great choice.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:31 PM
B&C 100 Class

Ok thank for the advice
Old 02-08-2012, 02:35 PM
Scrub Buck

By the way, the buck in my avatar fell to a 150 grain .30-06 core-lokt.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:38 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Reloading using Rem Core-locks...

The guys that give feedback on the Midway website complain that atleast in bulk the bullets that Remington sells have a large variance in weight. I think one guy weighed 500 bullets of 30 cal 165gr and had piles of 162-168gr. Whether they grade their bullets better for their loaded ammo is hard to guess. The bottom line is they are a shooters bullet, they work on Deer/Elk. Are they true controlled expansion no, but they hold together pretty well. Federal came out with the new Fusion line of bullets for their ammo to provide better performance in their standard line to compete with the Remington Core-locks.

Karl
Old 02-08-2012, 08:23 PM
B&C 100 Class

What do u think about the Winchester super X?
Old 02-09-2012, 03:21 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default My opinion of Win Super-x rifle loads

I have never shot anything alive with it. I don't think it is rated as well as Remington core-locks in actual performance on the animal. I did fire some at paper years ago and it grouped fine in my rifle. Sorry to not have better info for you.

Karl
Old 02-09-2012, 08:45 PM
B&C 140 Class

if your going to use core lokts check out the new remington whitetail pro core lokts. There still basicly the same thing,but have better standards in production and they aint as dirty.Price is still way lower than alot of other ammo. I myself use hornady in my lever gun and hand guns.My deer rifle is a browning A bolt in 270 and I use 130g winchester silver tips. No problems unless shot is real close then they dont do there best, still going way fast.But still no problem DRT. Also remember it aint the ammo you like,Its the ammo your rifle likes. some rifles or very picky about what they eat some not so. If this is what you think you want to use get a box head to the range and see what your rifle has to say
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled.jpg (17.9 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by Hellbilly; 02-09-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:23 PM
B&C 100 Class

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbilly View Post
if your going to use core lokts check out the new remington whitetail pro core lokts. There still basicly the same thing,but have better standards in production and they aint as dirty.Price is still way lower than alot of other ammo. I myself use hornady in my lever gun and hand guns.My deer rifle is a browning A bolt in 270 and I use 130g winchester silver tips. No problems unless shot is real close then they dont do there best, still going way fast.But still no problem DRT. Also remember it aint the ammo you like,Its the ammo your rifle likes. some rifles or very picky about what they eat some not so. If this is what you think you want to use get a box head to the range and see what your rifle has to say
What do you mean they are a little less dirty? And I personally would prefer to use the Winchester supreme ballistic silvertip but they are to expensive for my price range.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:00 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default That is a good reason to reload or find some who does

I think the Win Ballistic silvertips are just Nosler Ballistic tips with a different color tip. You can buy 50 Nosler ballistic tip bullets for around 18.50. So your cost to reload is 37 cents plus powder and primer. This is assuming you have been keeping your brass after shooting factory ammo.
The cost of the powder and primers will depend on which you choose and if they have been sitting on the shelf for awhile. A pound of powder is 7000 grains. When you look up loads that call for say 50 grains you can figure that you will load 140 rounds per pound of powder.

Karl