New To Rifle Hunting - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 01-19-2012, 03:50 PM
Scrub Buck

Default New To Rifle Hunting

Hey everyone...
I'm hoping to get some advice... I have always been really into bow hunting and currently shoot a Mathews Z7 Helium, but haven't done much hunting with rifles. I am looking into getting a bolt action, box mag rifle in either .308 win or .30-06 and i don't want to spend over $500 i was hoping i could get a few different ideas on a budget rifle that would be good for dropping some whitetail and sika deer as well as long range target shooting.

Any advice would be helpful...Thanks
Old 01-19-2012, 04:25 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default You are at the right Club for suggestions...

First off your idea of cartridge choices are great.

For what you are looking at 7mm-08, 308 Win, 270 Win, 30-06 will all work great. Basically there is not alot of difference on Deer for any of these choices. All makers chamber rifles in these because they are the most popular.

To keep under you limit of 500.xx and it be new not a used rifle you are going to be at the entry level models. You should plan on spending about 150.xx of your 500.xx on a quality scope. You will not miss a shot at a fantastic Deer because of your entry level rifle, but a crappy/cheap scope could cost you an animal. Some entry level rifle packages include a scope with the rifle for a slight increase in price. These package scopes are junk.

I really like the Marlin XS7/XL7 rifles. They are an entry level that doesn't feel or shoot like one. I like the Marlin because they have a good trigger, barrel, and the action is nice and tight. Ruger is bringing out a new entry level rifle that is worth asking to see. Ruger makes the really nice M77 Hawkeye bolt action, and this new one is an offering at the entry level pricepoint.

Take a trip to a large store with a big selection and ask to see their bolt actions at the 350.xx pricepoint. You will be supprised at the large selection they will have. Ask their opinions, but go with what fits you best.

Karl
Old 01-19-2012, 04:48 PM
Scrub Buck

Thanks Karl

I am a big Ruger fan, I own an SR40 and love it to death... I like the M77 Hawkeye but the only thing that pushed me away was that price tag of $860.00 I also looked into the Ruger American Rifle which has a much much less price tag at around $450.00 but I'm worried that the quality will drop off with the price.
I don't know much about Marlin's but i will have to look into them now that you suggested them.
I also wanted to see if anyone knew anything about the Steyr Model 1912 Bolt action that has been rechambered to fire 30-06... i was hoping to find out the quality and accuracy of this rifle as well as a price for on in moderate condition as i have been offered to purchase one that belongs to my father-in-law.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:13 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Sorry I didn't know what the price was for the Ruger

I didn't know that they were pricing the Ruger at 450.xx. That's placing them in competition with the Remington M700 SPS which is around that pricepoint. I am not a fan of rechambering old war horses to current cartridges. I don't doubt that the 1912 is safe, but something like a Marlin XL7 in 30-06 is going to be much stronger/safer. I also like the one piece scope base on the Marlin with multiple ring spacing options. I suggested two people buy these and both are very happy with the outcome. I did get to zero both rifles when they first were shot and they are alot for the money. Both were bought for 299.xx plus tax. One is mounting a Nikon Prostaff 3x9, the other is mounting a Redfield 2x7. Both are in 30-06. I didn't fire alot of ammo from either, just 4 rounds from each. At 25 yards I just fired two rounds then adjusted to center into the bull, and fired two to verify the adjustments. Both rifles and scopes put bullets into the same holes at that range. I watched the owners then had serious fun playing with them at 50 yards. They were new shooters and didn't need the challenges of moving back to 100 yards. Others in this group have recommended other entry level choices before.

Two I don't recommend are the Remington 710/770 and the entry level Savage Axis. That Remington design is a bad one, and the Savage Axis felt like they cut to many corners away from their standard quality rifles.

Karl
Old 01-19-2012, 05:28 PM
Scrub Buck

Default Scratch the war horse

i think it has been narrowed down pretty well and am going to head to the local gun shop over the weekend to check out their selections on the Marlins.

I am a big fan of Nikon optics so this might be a winning set up.

As far as the Rem 700 i have read countless reviews about how loose the bolt is... how the bolt pulled right out while being in the locked position... as well as it not chambering and ejecting smoothly or at all.

The only reason i was looking at picking up that Steyr was due to the fact he was only asking around $150.00 for it.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:09 PM
B&C 160 Class

Marlin x7,savage 110,thompson venture,all good choices and Karl gave you spot on advice on all info.