New To Rifle Hunting - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 01-20-2012, 05:36 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Hunting Man is right, can you say gunshow......

I don't know if you have any big gun shows in your area, but bargains can be found there. Some rifles will look like they were used as a canoe paddle, others you swear were never fired. Personally I would consider used if they looked like the second group. A couple of minor scratches in the wood or blueing can be overlooked but the rifle must be as tight as a bank vault with a perfect looking bore. A used rifle can be like a used car, a three year old car can be like new and the first owner takes the bath on depreciation. Another thing is a nice clean used rifle will often have a quality scope on it. Used scopes are not worth much so they don't raise the value much on a clean used rifle. Please keep us in the loop on your purchess.

Karl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2012, 08:28 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Look at the Vanguard by Weatherby

The Vanguard is a push feed bolt action made in Japan. This is a mid level rifle that I just saw in an add for 369.xx. It has a dropping floorplate something deleted from the Marlin xl7 as a cost saving. Is that required no, is it handy yes. The only two negitives I remember handling one is first they are heavy compared to most competitors and Weatherby choose to place a 24 inch barrel on them. One of the reasons that they are heavy is that there is a lot of milled steel used in their action. The longer barrel also contributes to them being a little heavier. A person could always have the barrel shortened to the more common 22 inches, that would reduce some weight and make it feel a little quicker in handling.

Karl