Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   Rifle Hunting (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/rifle-hunting/)
-   -   stupid eagles (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/rifle-hunting/9162-stupid-eagles.html)

buffrider 01-14-2012 06:43 PM

stupid eagles

ok so we might be moving to some 600 acre land with tons of wildlife on it. We will be leasing it to own. Now on this land there are 2 eagles that nest there. The owner has told us we can not shoot guns on the property as he does not want to scare the eagles off. I have no problem hunting with a bow but i also would like to be able to shoot guns. What are yalls suggestions?

Scorpion8 01-14-2012 07:55 PM

Check with your local or State agency for wildlife protection and see what the laws are. Usually there is a protection zone around eagle nesting areas in places where they are still protected, but it's not 600-acres in size. In my experience planning exercises for the military, during the environmental impact analysis we had to stay xxx-yards away, but it was a totally reasonable distance. And then if the owner insists on firearms restrictions, get it in writing as part of the lease. But have a let's-be-reasonable discussion with him/her first, armed with that information that you have collected above.

Karl.Luhr 01-16-2012 05:16 PM

Leasing it to own...

It is reasonable for him to impose restrictions if you are renting or leasing, but if you are leasing to own you are buying the land. I would make it clear that you will respect the Eagles but I would not accept terms limiting my ability to use the land as I saw fit. If you choose to shoot firearms on your land that you are buying, and it isn't illegal I would explain that you are going to shoot firearms on the land.

Karl

Hunting Man 01-16-2012 05:34 PM

Here on Lake Erie the eagles have State and Federal rights. When nesting you cannot harass them in any way and have to stay something like 1/4 mile away. Not real sure of the exact distance but Ohio protects the nesting eagles with vigor. Non-nesting eagles have no rights except being shot at that I know of. I would contact the state DNR and find out what your rights are regarding the eagles once you own the property.

timberghost 01-16-2012 09:28 PM

US Fish and Game will have an answer for you if you contact them. They will probably be very strict with you as well. My opinion, leave them be and take good pics of them. They will probably build the nest up so much that it breaks the tree branches and falls. It happens alot here.

tator 01-17-2012 09:12 AM

Can you call a wildlife re-locating service? Many of these services will come get the eagles and take them to another area far away where they can be with other eagles or out of harms way.

buffrider 01-18-2012 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tator (Post 66620)
Can you call a wildlife re-locating service? Many of these services will come get the eagles and take them to another area far away where they can be with other eagles or out of harms way.

well the place is called two eagle ranch.... so wont be able to do this.... lol

tator 01-19-2012 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buffrider (Post 66743)
well the place is called two eagle ranch.... so wont be able to do this.... lol

HAHAHAHAHAHA I about fell out of my chair! :lol: Yep, you be screwed

Hunting Man 01-19-2012 01:30 PM

yea, no Eagle ranch doesn't sound right. Or fallen eagle ranch, deserted eagle ranch, Eagleless ranch. Wish the eagles were back ranch. Wish I hadn't shot the eagles ranch. Not good!

Karl.Luhr 01-19-2012 03:57 PM

How about these ideas for a new name..

HIDDEN EAGLE RANCH or INVISABLE EAGLE RANCH, or EAGLE WANTED RANCH....

Karl