Frustration - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 01-01-2012, 08:48 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default Frustration

alright well i hunted tues-thurs of this week and on thurs evening i had a doe i could shoot right at 20 yds so i took the shot, i had the crosshares right behind her shoulder and fired, she tucked her tail ran into the brush and kept running for what sounded like 30yds then i herd a crash and some thrashing all in about 15 seconds time, so i got out of my blind went back to camp and put my stuff away and went back to get my doe, and to my surprize i see no blood and no hair so i get the two other guys with me to help look and we looked for a good few hours well beyond where i herd her fall, still no sign and no deer. i dont know what to make of it, my scopes on i sighted it in earlier on tuesday, but either way lookin in the moring is pointless due to the massive load of coyotes we have on the property, anyone else have an experience like this? thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2012, 10:10 PM

Body reaction says you hit her somewhere. If your shot was on a downward angle it's possible that the bullet didn't exit leaving no blood trail from the high entrance hit. If it wasn't a downward angle then I don't know. Most deer that are missed just throw up the flag and go. Possibly a weird miss and a tuck and run, not the norm reaction though???? The other thing is a deer will tuck their tail and go on a speed death run especially a heart hit. Doesn't explain the no blood thing. Just some random thoughts I guess.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:16 PM
B&C 100 Class

we were pretty much dead level, and yea it made no sense to me either :(
Old 01-01-2012, 10:25 PM
B&C 140 Class

what ammo or you using in your 270?
Old 01-01-2012, 10:28 PM
B&C 120 Class

Had one like that this year. The bullet went through one lung and one shoulder. That doe went a LONG ways and there was almost NO blood. The entry shot was high enough that it was just puddling up inside her. We only found her because we could hear her breathing heavily and walking. It took two hours of me following her at a distance before she finally bedded down and I was able to take a head shot. Had we not heard her, I would have had the same experience as you.

I had another one that was taken with a 12 gauge and buck shot. It ran about 50 yards and left no blood trail at all. When it fell down it left a huge pool of blood from its mouth.

I'd say that you hit it, but it just walked away and died later. Sometimes they just don't bleed out right away.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:30 PM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbilly View Post
what ammo or you using in your 270?
winchester 150 gr powerpoint
Old 01-01-2012, 10:31 PM
B&C 140 Class

At 20 yards (with a 270) it's possible that the bullet passed clean through with very little expansion, especially if you were using a sophisticated "heavy game" type of bullet. The thrasing may have been the deer chasing the "bee sting" it felt. If the bullet didn't pass thru anything vital, the cripple may have gone on for a long long time before it succumbs to any wounds.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:58 AM
B&C 140 Class

"so i got out of my blind went back to camp and put my stuff away and went back to get my doe"

I always chase the deer down to where it drops, ensure that it won't be getting back up, THEN head back to put my stuff away. Deer can get a second wind and walk off, coyotes can find it, or a hundred other things can happen.

Try using Remington Core-Lokt's in 150 grain next time. They have yet to fail me when hitting vital areas.

RR
Old 01-16-2012, 06:04 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Loads for the 270 Winchester

I don't load or shoot the 270 Winchester but isn't the 150gr loading more of a heavy for caliber load recommended for Elk? I always remember people saying that the ideal 270 load is 130/140 for Deer/Antelope with the 150gr used on Elk. It compairs with the 30-06 using 150/165gr for Deer/Antelope and 180gr for Elk. My experience verified those recommended weights are correct with the 30-06. New style bullet construction is changing some of the weight recommendations with the new lead free bullets being longer for a given weight. For the 30-06 a triple shock I would use the 150gr for Deer and the 165gr for Elk.

Karl
Old 01-31-2012, 08:43 PM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrader2002 View Post
"so i got out of my blind went back to camp and put my stuff away and went back to get my doe"

I always chase the deer down to where it drops, ensure that it won't be getting back up, THEN head back to put my stuff away. Deer can get a second wind and walk off, coyotes can find it, or a hundred other things can happen.

Try using Remington Core-Lokt's in 150 grain next time. They have yet to fail me when hitting vital areas.

RR
thats a good way to jump your deer up too and make it run further than it would of left alone, and it was dark by then so im not getting another shot, anyways camp was less than a min away, if a predator is going to find it that soon id rather not be trying to drag my deer out with a bear or coyote dogin me , i sighted my gun in with winchester so thats what i shoot with, Still not happy so im gona redo my whole sight set up get a new set of rings and re-sight in