Frustration - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 01-31-2012, 07:56 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default What type of bases/rings do you have?

I have helped several rifle shooters by talking them away from aluminium bases and shoot thru rings. I don't think they belong on anything that has recoil. I am sure that they would be fine on a 22 but Deer rifles tend to shoot them loose. The rings that allow you to see thru them for the iron sights are very tall and their height makes the force of recoil on them magnified. Simple steel bases and rings (as low as possible) in my opinion are the way to go.

Karl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2012, 03:51 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default Waiting

Waiting would have done alot. I have put up several deer walking around. In the end it doesn't help anyone. I stay put for 30 min and listen. It has made t hiring more successful. Also the heavier bullet would have played a big role. It wouldn't have allowed the bullet to expand properly in a deer if u didn't hit bone!
Old 02-26-2012, 07:44 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl.Luhr View Post
I have helped several rifle shooters by talking them away from aluminium bases and shoot thru rings. I don't think they belong on anything that has recoil. I am sure that they would be fine on a 22 but Deer rifles tend to shoot them loose. The rings that allow you to see thru them for the iron sights are very tall and their height makes the force of recoil on them magnified. Simple steel bases and rings (as low as possible) in my opinion are the way to go.

Karl
That is very true.scope needs to be as close to the barrel as possible.Also a one peace base is the best. also put some clear finger nail polish on the screws when you install them.this will help alot from them comming loose. lokt tite works also but sometimes you cant get them back out
Old 02-27-2012, 04:03 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Lock-tite has color codes

I have green lock-tite that I use for rifles, if you use red lock-tite it will require heat to undo it. The green lock-tite helps hold things together but will allow you to take them apart. I always attach rifle bases to actions using the green lock-tite on the screw threads.

Karl
Old 02-29-2012, 12:44 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default 2 doe's

I had a guy at my hunting camp in Ontario Canada that shot a doe about two years ago. He shot her to far back and didn't think anything about it. He decided it would be best to leave her I'll morning ap we just agreed and didn't fight him over it. When he went back the next morning all that was left as some hair! Nothing else. The coyotes ate it. There was also a few hunters there who said they had just doged it and pushed 4 coyotes out. Maybe it just ran farther than you thought and the coyotes got to it before you did?

Last edited by Stewart1516; 03-04-2012 at 12:12 AM.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:49 PM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart1516 View Post
I had a guy at my hunting camp in Ontario Canada that shot a doe about two years ago. He shot her to far back and didn't think anything about it. He decided it would be best to leave her I'll morning ap we just agreed and didn't fight him over it. When he went back the next morning all that was left as some hair! Nothing else. The coyotes ate it. There was also a few hunters there who said they had just doged it and pushed 4 coyotes out. Maybe it just ran farther than you thought and the coyotes got to it before you did?

possible they deffinatly were goin off that night while we looked, we need to get the coyotes back under control bad up there, BUT id still think we'd find some sign, even when coyotes get it all theres some hair and you can see where they fight with eachother over it