Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 02-21-2012, 07:19 PM

If it goes bang I like it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2012, 11:02 PM
Scrub Buck

Default wouldn't trade

I wouldn't trade my savage model 99 300 cal for any 30-06...Ballistics are equal or better, shoots straighter than I can hold it with little recoil and will kill anything in North America...

Ammo's a little hard to find, but Shoot animals not paper and what I've got on hand will be passed down when I'm gone cause I can't legally shoot that many deer...:)
Old 03-18-2012, 09:00 AM
B&C 120 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting Man View Post
If it goes bang I like it!
Me too HM. I have every caliber mentioned in this thread, like all of them. But there's nothin' better than turnin' on "The Rifleman" at 5:00 Sunday mornin' and watchin' Chuck Connors spin that 30-30 around and then ram somemore rounds into it!!
Old 03-18-2012, 12:19 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlightfield View Post
Me too HM. I have every caliber mentioned in this thread, like all of them. But there's nothin' better than turnin' on "The Rifleman" at 5:00 Sunday mornin' and watchin' Chuck Connors spin that 30-30 around and then ram somemore rounds into it!!
Anyone you would write that might just be an old-tmer, like me. I still watch Chuck spin that 30/30 almost every night.
Hey, here's my response to ALL the endless "debates" about what is the best rifle and caliber. Everyone has their favorite(s), but we get into trouble when we start thinking that our favorite should be eveyone's favorite, or even worse, that it is the best.
What we need to keep in mind is that:
1. just about all the rifle/caliber combinations that are out there can do the job for which they were intended.
2. owning and using a rifle is a very personal experience - the feel, performance, accuracy, perceived recoil, etc. are different for everyone depending on their physical makeup, experience, and their particular hunting conditions.
3. these discussions are never going to go away as long as "newbies" seek the wisdom of the more experienced hunters. (We've had this discussion dozens of times on this site.)
My advice on what is the "best": pick a rifle that is comfortable to shoot and meets your needs, practise, be safe, and don't be intimidated by what other hunters think about your choice, period.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:21 PM

and don't be afraid to look outside the norm or current trends to find that perfect firearm that you want!
Old 03-18-2012, 04:45 PM
B&C 120 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehorse View Post
Anyone you would write that might just be an old-tmer, like me. I still watch Chuck spin that 30/30 almost every night.
Hey, here's my response to ALL the endless "debates" about what is the best rifle and caliber. Everyone has their favorite(s), but we get into trouble when we start thinking that our favorite should be eveyone's favorite, or even worse, that it is the best.
What we need to keep in mind is that:
1. just about all the rifle/caliber combinations that are out there can do the job for which they were intended.
2. owning and using a rifle is a very personal experience - the feel, performance, accuracy, perceived recoil, etc. are different for everyone depending on their physical makeup, experience, and their particular hunting conditions.
3. these discussions are never going to go away as long as "newbies" seek the wisdom of the more experienced hunters. (We've had this discussion dozens of times on this site.)
My advice on what is the "best": pick a rifle that is comfortable to shoot and meets your needs, practise, be safe, and don't be intimidated by what other hunters think about your choice, period.
Well said OneHorse, I've never heard it said better! I asked you this on another thread, but whereabouts in Montana are you? I elk hunted for years just across the border in the Idaho panhandle in the St. Joe River Valley and my brother-in-law has lived in Plains up on Route 200 for the last 32 years. We still go antelope huntin' in Unit 650, about 45 miles from Circle, MT.
PS: My brain thinks that we(being brain and body)are still like 36. When we climb trees and drag deer out on the ground, we both realize that we are both 63. Thanks for the post, that was good!!
Tom L