scope for my 30-06? - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 10-30-2007, 05:43 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default scope for my 30-06?

Hi everyone, I own a savage 30-06 model 110 but i have heard that the simmons scope on this rifle is no good... what would you guys recommend for a durable but basic scope?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2007, 05:52 PM
B&C 100 Class

I would shoot the rifle with the Simmons on it and see what it will shoot like, after all, we are just wanting to hit where the cross hairs are. Doesn't matter what kind or how much it cost, if it gets the job done.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:20 PM
B&C 180 Class

is the gun boresighted?try shooting at 25 yrds and hitting the paper then move out at 25 yrd increments.once its shooting good then do it over with the scope.Who mounted the scope? you or a gunsmith?
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 10-30-2007, 09:51 PM
Scrub Buck

What model of Simmons is it?

I put a Simmons 8 Point on my 110 when I bought it. It was ok, but the eye relief is EXACTLY 3 inches. Any more or less and you lose the sight picture. On a long action rifle, it limited where I could mount it. After putting 60 rounds through the rifle, I decided to upgrade.

I replaced it with a Burris FFII (which I sighted in today). I was very pleased with the clarity and the longer / less restricted eye relief.

Try shooting the Simmons and see how it does for you. If I had been forced to use mine (like if I didn't have $200 to get the Burris), I could done fine with it. As it is, I kept it in case I get a short-action rifle or a carbine.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:07 PM

like joel said i would try the simmons first before i spent some more money. if it does not work out how much do you want to spend on another one?
Old 10-31-2007, 08:51 AM
B&C 100 Class

maybe 150$.. i really need to clean the barrel before i try it. how much do cleaning rods cost? i suppose the scope might work fine after all
Old 10-31-2007, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savageshooter View Post
Hi everyone, I own a savage 30-06 model 110 but i have heard that the simmons scope on this rifle is no good... what would you guys recommend for a durable but basic scope?
Savage shooter, I don't know WHO said it or WHY they said it BUT Simmons scopes are not that bad... Give it a try before you give up on it, IT may turn out to be a Super Accurate Scope for you....

Good Luck

Old 10-31-2007, 12:04 PM

yeah i use to have a simmons on my muzzleloader and it did fine. i sold it with the muzzleloader though. this year when i bought a new t/c triumph i put a nikon prostaff on it. think it was around the $150 range.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:25 PM
B&C 100 Class

Thanks for the replies guys, its good to see that some people are still willing to help others out once in a while instead of worrying about themselves all the time!
Old 10-31-2007, 12:54 PM

I'm confident in saying that what you'll find here at this website are a lot of hunters willing to give you all the advice you may want..
advice regarding equipment or advice to help you on your hunts...

WE all know how easy it is to get trapped into marketing schemes that make us think spending more is better.. Sometimes that just isn't so. Last year I used a Bolt Action Ruger .270 to get a nice 8 pointer that Rifle set-up cost me about 650 dollars with scope and sling, My girlfriends son used a .30-06 Bolt action Savage that cost him around 390 dollars with scope and sling and he got a beautiful 4 pointer.. Braggin? nope,, just pointing out cost doesn't determine success...

By the way my personal favorite scope is a 3-9x40 Bushnell that I paid 40 bucks for.... Good Luck to you...