300 Savage - Page 3 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 12-07-2011, 09:26 PM
rdrader2002's Avatar
rdrader2002 rdrader2002 is offline
B&C 140 Class
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 824
Default

I have a rifle in .300 Savage, but mine's a Remington semi-auto, Model 81. The Model 81 was modeled after the Model 8, one of the rifles used to take out Bonnie and Clyde. Even with the semi-auto action, the carbine like 81 kicks (to me) like a mule. But I'm not knocking it's accuracy and power using Remington Core-Lokt 150 grain bullets. Like the others have said about their .300 Savage rifles - one shot, one kill.

My father-in-law has a Savage Model 99. It's also in .300 Savage and the only way anyone will get it from him is when they pry his cold, dead fingers from it. He bought it when he was a teenager and killed many deer with it in some of the worst conditions imaginable in the Colorado mountains. You might say that he's grown kind of attached to this one. <grin>

Would love to get my hands on it, but I think I will just have to wait.

RR
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 12-08-2011, 12:41 PM
TexasRem700 TexasRem700 is offline
B&C 100 Class
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Antonio Texas
Posts: 45
Default

I have used a savage 99 in 300 for several years if I am going into a think brush area it is a nice small lever action gun and I also love the technology in it the first hammer-less lever action rifle.
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 12-08-2011, 02:24 PM
turner's Avatar
turner turner is offline
B&C 140 Class
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Tn
Posts: 511
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrader2002 View Post
I have a rifle in .300 Savage, but mine's a Remington semi-auto, Model 81. The Model 81 was modeled after the Model 8, one of the rifles used to take out Bonnie and Clyde. Even with the semi-auto action, the carbine like 81 kicks (to me) like a mule. But I'm not knocking it's accuracy and power using Remington Core-Lokt 150 grain bullets. Like the others have said about their .300 Savage rifles - one shot, one kill.

My father-in-law has a Savage Model 99. It's also in .300 Savage and the only way anyone will get it from him is when they pry his cold, dead fingers from it. He bought it when he was a teenager and killed many deer with it in some of the worst conditions imaginable in the Colorado mountains. You might say that he's grown kind of attached to this one. <grin>

Would love to get my hands on it, but I think I will just have to wait.

RR
I'd rather have the M81! I think they are way cool rifles, with a lot of hand-work and fitting that went into them. I handled a mint M81 last year up in Maine that one of the guides had from his Grandfather (.35 Rem). Had a peep sight on it. What a nice rifle.
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 12-08-2011, 08:53 PM
rdrader2002's Avatar
rdrader2002 rdrader2002 is offline
B&C 140 Class
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 824
Default Model 8 or 81 Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by turner View Post
I'd rather have the M81! I think they are way cool rifles, with a lot of hand-work and fitting that went into them. I handled a mint M81 last year up in Maine that one of the guides had from his Grandfather (.35 Rem). Had a peep sight on it. What a nice rifle.
thegreatmodel8.remingtonsociety.com &bull; Index page

When I'm not here on DHC, I'm either at the above or Gun&Game.

RR
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 12-08-2011, 09:07 PM
Hunting Man Hunting Man is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Oregon, Ohio
Posts: 7,691
Default

Not to argue guns here I just prefer the Savage 99's. I do like the old 35 remington's in the 81 or 141 models. I had a 141 in 30 rem and like an idiot sold it. Gez I wished I had all the guns I've sold over the years. Some would be high collectables today, back then they were hunting rigs. In fact I get more joy from shooting the old stuff than the most of the new guns. The black rifle has a very different reason behind it.
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 12-08-2011, 09:22 PM
rdrader2002's Avatar
rdrader2002 rdrader2002 is offline
B&C 140 Class
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 824
Default

Each of us have our own "preferences" and that's what's great about this forum - we can both be right.

Little black rifle? No thank you. Carried one for 20+ years. Slept with it, ate with it, road marched with it, it followed me into porta piddles, just don't want (or need) to get THAT close to anything again. But then again, hope you have a lot more fun with yours, than I did with mine.

RR
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 12-08-2011, 09:26 PM
Hunting Man Hunting Man is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Oregon, Ohio
Posts: 7,691
Default

most likely a vault thing, just filling a desire. It may be the only gun that I might enjoy tearing up the range with, safely of course. Who knows till we try something new. Boys and their toys thing.....
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 12-09-2011, 02:36 PM
scribe scribe is offline
B&C 120 Class
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Southeast
Posts: 295
Default

I'll never part with model 99 but my rifle of preference is a Parker-Hale .308 that mr. Hale made for me many years ago. He made a matched set of .308 and .270. The .270 was for my son.

I have no idea how many rounds have through my .308. It is/was all I use for deer, elk, antelope. I have shot 3/3 on deer this year and may shoot another time or two on a peak rut hunt in mid-January. For ther last few years, It gets shot maybe eight times a year. One shot each year to make sure the scope is still on and the rest at game.

I zero at 2" high at 100-yards and if I am having a good day health-wise, I can put three inside a half-dollar at 100. That is plenty good for me. It is a beautifull old gun that I have used, not babied and the scars on the stock prove it is no collector item. Mr. Hale did a fine job handpicking the wood and and building it. Some day, a few years off, Ihope, it will be my grandson's.
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 12-23-2011, 02:01 PM
ducksoup ducksoup is offline
Scrub Buck
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 7
Default

model 99 in 300 Savage is on my "must have" list I should have bought one 10 years ago, prices have just skyrocketed in the last 5 or 6 years
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 12-27-2011, 07:04 PM
rdrader2002's Avatar
rdrader2002 rdrader2002 is offline
B&C 140 Class
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 824
Default Welcome to DHC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksoup View Post
model 99 in 300 Savage is on my "must have" list I should have bought one 10 years ago, prices have just skyrocketed in the last 5 or 6 years
Just saw your post and noticed your "address". Father-in-law worked there for Boeing for many years until retiring about 10 or so years ago. Again, welcome to DHC and hope y'all had a very merry Christmas with best wishes for the New Year.

RR
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Top Posters
Hunting Man7691
buckfever5650
BruceBruce19595422
timberghost3916
joel the signman3608
tator3181
gfdeputy22859
delbert1511
Buckshot1219
hunt NH1203
Photos
good membories
8point
good membories
Team DHC Articles


    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:08 PM.



    LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.0.0 RC8