Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   Rifle Hunting (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/rifle-hunting/)
-   -   Nice morning (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/rifle-hunting/8835-nice-morning.html)

turner 12-01-2011 01:05 PM

Nice morning

2 Attachment(s)
We have finally had some decent weather here for the Tennessee rifle season, now 12 days old. It was 21* with a heavy frost and very still this morning. The woods had also finally dried out yesterday after a lot of rain. I was in my chosen spot an hour before SR and by SR I'd seen 5 does, two of which were less than 20 yards from my spot (ground). About 45 minutes later I saw a buck following the route of some of the does and I thought he might come up really close (he looked like a shooter)

He did not, instead he followed another trail through the thick brush. I had to stand to shoot him and the 1895M did just what it's supposed to do, dropped him in his tracks at about 70 yards. He turned out to be a 7 pnt, not the 8 I figured him for, but a decent buck, none the less. He's #3 for the year so far and 4 1/2 weeks of rifle left in Tennessee to fill my last buck tag.

It was a very nice morning & now I'm tired! :yawn: They don't seem to drag as easy nor load themselves in the back of the FX4 as well as they used to. Wonder why? :whistling:

tator 12-01-2011 01:28 PM

great job! how long is your TN rifle season?? From what I counted it's like 6 weeks long???? wow,, here in Missouri, our main firearms season for bucks and does is 10 days long. Then the day after that 10 days, bow season opens back up for bucks or does, AND a firearms season for JUST does opens up as well. Basically, there is only 10 days we can shoot a buck with a rifle. Now, we do have a 2 week muzzleload season coming up in December for bucks and/or does too.

tator 12-01-2011 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turner (Post 63804)
nor load themselves in the back of the FX4 as well as they used to.

You know what I do?? I have two old ramps (2x12's) that are too old to load 4 wheelers or lawn mowers with anymore... I use these as a ramp and I position the deer with the butt at the end of the ramp on the ground. Then while on the ground I pull up as far as I can on the back legs of the deer until it's about half way up the ramp. Then I get in the back of my truck and finish pulling the deer up into the truck. Makes life ALOT easier.

Plus I drive a chevy too.. so life in general is much easier! LOL :whistling:

turner 12-01-2011 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tator (Post 63807)
great job! how long is your TN rifle season?? From what I counted it's like 6 weeks long???? wow,, here in Missouri, our main firearms season for bucks and does is 10 days long. Then the day after that 10 days, bow season opens back up for bucks or does, AND a firearms season for JUST does opens up as well. Basically, there is only 10 days we can shoot a buck with a rifle. Now, we do have a 2 week muzzleload season coming up in December for bucks and/or does too.

Hey Tator, Our rifle season this year started on the 19th and runs til 1 Jan '12. It always starts on the Saturday before Thanksgiving and ends the first Sunday in January. We had a two week M/L season just prior to rifle this season, usually it's one week long and then no gun for a week, before rifle starts. We also normally had a two week break during rifle season, one week of that was a late M/L season. Not this season, it runs non-stop from start to end.

We can take three bucks of any size. We can also take three does a day for the entire season (including archery & M/L) with proper licenses.

Hunting Man 12-01-2011 01:59 PM

Congrats on a nice buck harvest!

tator 12-01-2011 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turner (Post 63810)
Hey Tator, Our rifle season this year started on the 19th and runs til 1 Jan '12. It always starts on the Saturday before Thanksgiving and ends the first Sunday in January. We had a two week M/L season just prior to rifle this season, usually it's one week long and then no gun for a week, before rifle starts. We also normally had a two week break during rifle season, one week of that was a late M/L season. Not this season, it runs non-stop from start to end.

We can take three bucks of any size. We can also take three does a day for the entire season (including archery & M/L) with proper licenses.

You all must be FLOODING with deer or they are getting ready to be extinct in your state! If those laws were in effect here in MO, we'd have to take 5 years off so the overall deer herd could reach full strength again.

BruceBruce1959 12-01-2011 04:20 PM

Congratulations!!! Awesome Buck harvest...

turner 12-01-2011 04:26 PM

We've had the "L" areas (liberal bag limits) now for about 4 yrs and I see no difference in the number of deer I see while hunting. As a matter of fact, this year in my city (in city limits) they have had a record number of deer/car "run-ins". Last year through the 1st 10 months we had 79 and this year it's at 110. And that's only within the city limits, gosh knows how many in the entire county.

Our county (Montgomery) always kills the most big bucks, bucks over 8 pnts, in the state. We are at the top or near the top every season in 7 & 8 pnts (Tennessee keeps track of how big all harvested bucks are!) and in the top 5 in the state for total number of deer killed. We normally harvest about 170,000 total/year state-wide out of an estimated herd of 1,000,000. We have a good bit of agriculture and woods within the county, but it's by no means really rural.

Crawdaddy 12-01-2011 04:52 PM

Congrats Turner! should be really good eating. You just gotta love an 1895 M, mine has seen a lot of hawg action but never a deer...

turner 12-01-2011 07:35 PM

Thank you to all for the nice words! Crawdaddy, my .450 will go with me to Georgia in January on a hog hunt. Wish it was with me in my stand back in '09 as it might not have taken 5 shots to put that hog to sleep....lol. :shocking: