Did your bullet drop the ball this year? - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 11-26-2011, 04:24 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Did your bullet drop the ball this year?

We all read about the latest bullets out there for use. Did anyone have a bad experience with the bullet they used this year? I personally use 165gr Nosler Ballistic Tips in .308 for my 30-06s. All I shot this year was paper at the range, but they played nicely together in small groups. I really would like to know if someone used the new Federal Fusion on live animals. So ok give an honest appraisal of how your bullet of choice did, and make sure to share how much weight it retained if you have a bullet scale.

Karl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2011, 07:21 PM
B&C 100 Class

Hornady 270win 130 GR Spire Point with IMR 4831 60GR of Powder Use Hornady Brass. I reload all my rounds. I have never recovered a bullet due to all my shots going through the animal. I have yet to not Drop in Place a Deer or a Hog. I have been using this bullet for around 10 yrs in my hunting rifle. I use a Remington 700 CDL SF with a Nikon Monarch 2.5x10 Scope.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:51 PM
B&C 140 Class

Savage Model 111, .270 caliber, Tasco 3x9x40 scope. (Came with the rifle)
Remington Core-Lokt 150 grain bullet.
1 shot fired, 1 deer in the freezer.

RR
Old 11-28-2011, 07:50 PM
B&C 120 Class

I shoot an old, wornout Parker-Hale .308. I have been shooting the same bullet for many years-150gr silver tip. As always this year, everything fell in sight. I used that combination for everything from elk on down and never been dissapointed.

I'm not a paper shooter so I don't worry about groups. However, a few years ago I shot a small 5X5 bull at 307 yards twice. The bullets hit 2" apart and the bull went about 50 yards. That is as close to shooting a group as I get. I shoot one, cold barrel shot each year to check and make sure everything is copacetic and that is it. Hvane't had to adjust anything since I sighted it in some years ago.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:23 PM
B&C 140 Class

Actually, yes.

Rifle - Ruger 77/44
Ammo - Hornady LeverEvolution 44mag 225gr.

First deer I shot was broadside at 65 yards. I hit him high shoulder and he still ran 70 yards before he fell. When I skinned him I found the bullet jacket under the skin on the opposite side in front of the hip.

Second deer I shot 4 times all in the shoulder area before he would go down. First shot about 85 yards, second 30 yards, third 20 yards, fourth 30 yards.

I've heard of people having less than pleasing results with the LeverEvolution ammo, and now I can personally say that I have as well.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:41 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Difference between hunters and shooters I guess..

Per your post-
I shoot one, cold barrel shot each year to check and make sure everything is copacetic and that is it. Hvane't had to adjust anything since I sighted it in some years ago.

Ammo companies would go broke if everyone was this efficent. I know that I am a shooter more than a hunter. I try to shoot atleast a couple of boxes (50 rounds each) of reloads through my rifle each year. I see a lot of hunters that come out to the sight-in days with dogear-ed boxes of factory ammo. They pull out a couple of rounds out of the box and as long as they are hitting the black at 100 yards they pack up and head out. I have been there with a spotting scope and many times they will not change anything even if there group is off in windage an inch or two at 100 yards. I know that the kill zone is large on a Whitetail but I can't understand not correcting the scope to where the bullets are going. Maybe they are worried that adjusting it makes it more likely to be knocked off target if it gets bumped. All I know is that reloading is part of the enjoyment for me, and I would forget how to load ammo if I only did it every 10 years. PS- I know those same frugal hunters probibly have venison in there freezer, I don't.

Karl
Old 11-29-2011, 09:42 AM
B&C 140 Class

"I've heard of people having less than pleasing results with the LeverEvolution ammo, and now I can personally say that I have as well. "

I have only used LeveRevolution once. .30/30 160 grain. Marlin 336C.
I had heard raves about the round and just had to try them. Buck came out of the brush about 50 yards away. It was a lot closer to dark than dusk and all I really saw was the silhouette and antlers. Antlers were plenty wide enough to shoot and I got "Buck Fever" as I settled in, putting the first round high over his shoulder. Kind of hurried the second shot, putting it right into the neck. (Not really where I should have put it!) He took two steps and dropped. Exit wound was a little larger than a quarter.

Can you judge a round's performance on just one use? Y'all tell me . . . .

RR
Old 11-29-2011, 12:19 PM
B&C 140 Class

I shot a nice Kentucky 8 pnt with a 200gr Fusion out of my .338 Fed a few years back. No bullet recovered; pass-through with a quarter-sized exit hole. The two bucks this year fell to a 295gr powerbelt (took off the top 1/3 of his heart) and a 285gr SP out of my 9.3x62; shot was quartering away and made jello out of his lungs. He did go about 50-60 yards tho, before I watched him fall. I gave that deer to a landowner as payment for allowing me to hunt, so did not get to see the bullet (did not exit).
Old 11-29-2011, 01:05 PM
B&C 120 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl.Luhr View Post
Per your post-
I shoot one, cold barrel shot each year to check and make sure everything is copacetic and that is it. Hvane't had to adjust anything since I sighted it in some years ago.

Ammo companies would go broke if everyone was this efficent. I know that I am a shooter more than a hunter. I try to shoot atleast a couple of boxes (50 rounds each) of reloads through my rifle each year. I see a lot of hunters that come out to the sight-in days with dogear-ed boxes of factory ammo. They pull out a couple of rounds out of the box and as long as they are hitting the black at 100 yards they pack up and head out. I have been there with a spotting scope and many times they will not change anything even if there group is off in windage an inch or two at 100 yards. I know that the kill zone is large on a Whitetail but I can't understand not correcting the scope to where the bullets are going. Maybe they are worried that adjusting it makes it more likely to be knocked off target if it gets bumped. All I know is that reloading is part of the enjoyment for me, and I would forget how to load ammo if I only did it every 10 years. PS- I know those same frugal hunters probibly have venison in there freezer, I don't.

Karl
You are 100% correct. There is a big difference between hunters and shooters. I got enough shooting some years back when I had to. I sight my rifles in to perfection. By that, I mean that sucker will hit where I want it to every time. However, if that sucker shoots where I want it to the first time with a cold barrel, I see no sense in wasting ammo, even if I do get it free. If it doesn't, I will shoot it until it does.

For the past several years, that has not been neccessary. When traveling, upon arriving at camp, I always shoot one time to check things. I don't travel much anymore but for several years, I almost lived on the road during hunting season. Rifles, mzl's andbows were always checked upon arrival and usually, one shot was all that was required.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:58 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrader2002 View Post

Can you judge a round's performance on just one use? Y'all tell me . . . .

RR
Of course not, but I've heard from quite a few people who have had bad results with it. Every time I've shot this ammo into milk jugs filled with water the core comes out of the jacket, with both 30-30 and 44mag. That's very unacceptable to me.