Discouraged young hunter - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 11-24-2011, 09:08 PM
Scrub Buck

Default Discouraged young hunter

Hey guys, I'm 14, this is my first year hunting. I've been hunting this bean field since juvenile weekend (Oct 30). I've went about 8 times and sat for atleast 2-3 hours at a time in the morning and evening. The only deer I've seen is 2 small bucks (about the size of a dog). I haven't seen them since then. Which that was 3-4 weeks ago. I've heard this spot has some big deer but the people who hunt across the road have food plots and kill anything that walks. So basicly, they're "stealing" our deer. There were so many deer at this field, that the top of the bean stalks were gone. So I'm disappointed that they're not using it. I wash my clothes then take them outside to let them air out. I use rattlers but no luck. A guy that hunts the same field I do said he saw a 6 point but he let it walk. I don't use anykind of feed or attractants. I'm thinking I should get a feeder and hang it from a tree and put corn in it. Also put a trail camera close to the feeder and see what comes up. Any tips would be appeciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2011, 07:35 AM
Scrub Buck

Come on guys. Any tips for a rookie?
Old 11-25-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestTNHunter22 View Post
Hey guys, I'm 14, this is my first year hunting. I've been hunting this bean field since juvenile weekend (Oct 30). I've went about 8 times and sat for atleast 2-3 hours at a time in the morning and evening.

The only deer I've seen is 2 small bucks (about the size of a dog). If you're looking to harvest your first deer why didn't you just opt for one of those smaller bucks?

I haven't seen them since then. Which that was 3-4 weeks ago. I've heard this spot has some big deer but the people who hunt across the road have food plots and kill anything that walks.

[I]So basicly, they're "stealing" our deer.[/I] I would think they are their deer also, nobody owns the wildlife that roams the earth unles of course they fence in their land and farm breed their own.

There were so many deer at this field, that the top of the bean stalks were gone. So I'm disappointed that they're not using it. I wash my clothes then take them outside to let them air out. I use rattlers but no luck.

A guy that hunts the same field I do said he saw a 6 point but he let it walk. It sounds like you guys have the deer, you're just not happy with the ones you are seeing.

I don't use anykind of feed or attractants. I'm thinking I should get a feeder and hang it from a tree and put corn in it. Also put a trail camera close to the feeder and see what comes up. Any tips would be appeciated!

If you and others hunting around you are holding off for large racked bucks simply because they have larger antlers then I don't see any problem with what you're dealing with
Personally at 14 years old, I don't think you should be so selective on the deer you choose to harvest but that is your right to pick and choose but if you decide to harvest deer that way you shouldn't get "Discouraged" at all because you are seeing some deer. That's just my opinion....

Old 11-25-2011, 07:52 AM
Scrub Buck

Patience is key when hunting. Maybe if you try switching up postions or maybe a feeder or apple lick would do the trick.I wish you luck the season has just stated dont give up hope just keep at it! :) happy hunts youngin
Old 11-25-2011, 08:18 AM
B&C 120 Class

This is why the sport is called hunting and not killing. However, you may see it differently there is just so many reasons folks hunt, of course harvesting game is the goal but sometimes it either just does not happen or in your case you chose to not shoot. Myself I just love nature and getting out to watch whatever happens to be in the woods that day is a satisfying expierience. If I happen to see a deer, which I do quite often, that hunt in my eyes was a success. Be patient and enjoy nature there is a lot more to hunting than just firing your gun.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:45 AM
B&C 140 Class

For starts being 14 are you hunting by your self or with someone ? Here in my State a youth needs to be 16 before they can legally hunt alone, so if your doing this by your self that's great but be extreemly carefully and remimber safety first.

Now with that said I would think if you could hunt longer would help you a lot, i would also try losing the rattles and calls, you can practice them all you want at home but in a feed area like your talking about and ( I'm assuming) little calling and rattling experance you will actualy keep them away, wrong sounds and over calling is one of the worse things you can do to your self.

so what I'm getting at is, I'm betting you'll see more deer if you just sit longer and leave those calls at home. ( if they are coming in already why try calling just wait)
And if you have been hunting this spot since Oct 30. Are you gun hunting only or bow hunting too? Hunting from a barn ?

Last edited by on_the_fly; 11-25-2011 at 08:30 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:18 AM
Scrub Buck

I'm thinking about going to the co-op and getting me a sack of 100 pounds of corn. I'm hunting at a edge of the woods looking at the east side of the field. I've made a me a "homemade" ground blind. I just cut some branches and surrounded myself. I just sit in lawn chairs. I'm also thinking of getting some buckrageous to mix with the corn.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:20 PM
Scrub Buck

Try going with some rice bran instead of Deer corn. The bran is cheap and also Deer Corn is the feed that is rejected by USDA for cows.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Babe View Post
Patience is key when hunting. Maybe if you try switching up postions or maybe a feeder or apple lick would do the trick.I wish you luck the season has just stated dont give up hope just keep at it! :) happy hunts youngin

x2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-26-2011, 06:36 AM
B&C 140 Class

Default It's not about firing a shot....

Some of my favorite hunting years I never fired a shot. It isn't a competition for who gets the biggest etc. It is hard where almost everything we do in life is rated against what someone else has done. I really try to keep hunting in prospective. We shoot at the range getting ready because we live in a Country where you can. We hunt because we enjoy getting out in the woods and spending a couple of days away from the TV and computer. I always say it takes atleast the first day to slow down and relax. I love hunting, but there are people much better at it than I am. The beauty is I don't care I am just in it to have fun and spend some quality time with my boys and friends. I know my Son would love to have got a big Buck this year to have outdone his buddy would did get one, but he did have fun anyway. That MADE my hunt this year.

Karl