Deer Hunting Forums banner

Got one dead with the Mosin

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  WisconsinDeer 
#1 ·
First off I have to give credit when credit is due, so thank you Wisconsindeer for helping me figure out how to get a scope mounted on my Mosin. around 7am this morning I saw what i thought were 2 doe, and since WI DNR confused me i ended up purchasing a second antler-less tag. One shot and the deer immediately tipped over, not a step, not a 10 yard sprint, just right over. Turned out to be a nubby buck which kind of sucked because I would have rather it grown older but hey there's meat for my freezer and that's what i really care about. and because every thread is useless without pics. look below. and good luck to everyone else out there!

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
Had to help with a Mosin...

The other week when I was Range Officer a guy shooting a Mosin had it jam up and wouldn't open the bolt after firing surplus ammo. I was called over and yep it was jammed. I asked the guy if he wanted to pound on it and he said go ahead. A hard strike with a gloved hand opened the bolt and cleared the fired case REAL well. He didn't realize that he wasn't using a rifle that sometimes needed to be talked to. The rifle was good as new afterwards.

Karl

#9 ·
The other week when I was Range Officer a guy shooting a Mosin had it jam up and wouldn't open the bolt after firing surplus ammo. I was called over and yep it was jammed. I asked the guy if he wanted to pound on it and he said go ahead. A hard strike with a gloved hand opened the bolt and cleared the fired case REAL well. He didn't realize that he wasn't using a rifle that sometimes needed to be talked to. The rifle was good as new afterwards.

Karl
That'll happen with a Mosin that hasn't been cleaned well. The Russians stored these rifles in cosmoline, which needs to be cleaned out real well when you buy one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.