Deer Hunting Forums banner

Almost had an accident during the sight-in

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  tator 
#1 ·
I was lead range officer on the 100yard line last Sunday and we almost had something really bad happen. I woman was shooting a Remington 742 in 30-06. It was an old one with the steel buttplate. Well twice she had weak firing pin strikes on rounds. They always went off fine after trying a second time. I was watching her shoot and the rifle DOUBLED. First I asked her if she was OK, then I told her she was done shooting until the rifle is checked out by a gunsmith. There was another round in the chamber and the last one was still in the mag. It could have gone off two more times. She was maybe 5ft 4in and 120#. I think that she had a nasty bruise the next day. But the rifle could have come apart if the bolt had not locked up prior to firing the round. I figure the firing pin was very dirty or rusty and the pin stayed extended firing the new round as it went into battery.

Karl

#2 ·
Wow, glad to hear that nothing really bad happened. I've not heard much about the Rem auto-loaders doubling, but I know that it was not uncommon for the Winchester M100s to have a similar problem. There has also been a recall on those M100s for many years now, which includes a firing pin replacement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.