Took a shot no blood??? - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 11-11-2011, 10:59 PM
Scrub Buck

Default Took a shot no blood???

Ok first i am 27 years old i have shot all my life i was in the military for 4 years so i know how to shoot so ok i shoot a 300win mag i killed a deer with it two years ago i did not take a shot last year i let a buddy borrow the gun a few months ago to impress some of his friends anyhow tonight i decide after about 10 min with her in my sight im going to take the shot i pull the trigger and she takes off jumps over a fence but trips and kinda rolls but back up and runs to another fence jumps kinda hear her scrape the top then she disappears behind some trees then i hear her go into the woods it was almost dark so i only wait a few min and go to where i had shot her at and i see nothing no blood not nothing i then go to the fence where she jumps and trips but still nothing no blood or anything so i go off into the woods i hear something moving but after an hour or so in very very very thing woods briers i can not see any trace of her. so did i hit her or not? with a 300win mag u would think no matter what there would be blood but then she tripped so i have no clue if i hit her or not?
i am going to go back out tomorrow and look to see if i see anything else
im hoping i did not hit her and the gun is off cause i let my buddy borrow it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2011, 11:23 PM
B&C 160 Class

i would also think a 300 would cause massive bleading. if you have a place you can shoot it tonight. i would shoot it at a terget. see wich side your off by, or if its up or down, and how far off in that direction it is off. then try to remember the position the deer was in when you took the shot, and use thet to try to estimate were you might have hit it, or if you may not have hit it. might provide some insite that could help you track it, or explane why there was no blood.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:35 PM
Scrub Buck

i am going to go back in the morning with wife as it only about 35 miles away to see if i can see any thing i did not see tonight then after that i am meeting a buddy at the range and i am going to check the rifle to see whats going on. Thanks for the quick reply
Old 11-12-2011, 03:44 AM
B&C 140 Class

Did you pay any attintion to her tail by chance, a wounded deer will 99.9% of the time tuck their tail if their hit. So if you seen the white of her tail I'd say you missed, she could had stumbled caz to scared the holy crap out of her n she was in a mad dash to go !
Old 11-12-2011, 06:23 AM

If no blood after 50-60 yards then I'd say you missed. I agree that deer body position says alot about the shot not only if hit but sometimes where they're hit.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:01 PM

one tip from my own bad & I am not picking on you
1 of 2 things I Never let anyone use my hunting rifle they can use my shotgun or backup
2. If you do let someone use it always check it out on paper before hunting
I had let a friend borrow mine & found out he had dropped it &the scope was off then his wife would not allow guns in the house so my pride & joy was left in an unheated screen porch I was very upset to say the least
Now Nobody uses my rifle unless I am with them target shooting
Hope you found the deer or found you missed clean

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright
Old 11-12-2011, 03:42 PM

Look again as much as you can. If you heard noises close by when you were looking for it that may be the deer fizzling out. At least you will be able to say that you gave it your all in trying to find it. Then double check your rifle because if it were in a friends care then that may be the problem.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:58 PM
B&C 140 Class

I'll repeat what GFD said in his # 2 statement -
2. If you do let someone use it always check it out on paper before hunting

I've bumped my own scope during the season knocking it off by 3 or 4 inches at 25 yards. Mulitply the 3 or 4 inches by distance to target, and you can end up missing by over a foot or more. Kudos to you for spending as much time and effort as you did for looking. I've punched a fist sized hole in a buck, leaving no blood at point of impact. But I did find a blood trail and eventually the 9 point I'd put the hole in.

Before trying any rifle out on a deer, I always try it on paper first. I'll do that with my rifles at the beginning of the season, even if it's been in the safe since the end of the last one. If I miss one, the first thing I do is go back to paper.

Best of luck with your next one.

RR
Old 11-15-2011, 11:45 AM
B&C 100 Class

hope you can finder, id check that 2nd fence she scraped to see if any fur left behind had blood, othern that X3 checking scope after lending it out.