Help chosing a new deer rifle? - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 10-26-2011, 05:27 AM
Scrub Buck

thanks again for all the help. i might just try some better ammo. but you know how it is, sometimes you just want something new to add to the collection. haha. I think ill go this weekend and buy some different types of ammo and try it out. Ill post up pics of the results and let ya know what I have found out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2011, 06:43 AM
B&C 100 Class

Seems like you want a new gun, as do we all. I would say either bridge the gap get a .270 win. I have droped everthing in N. America with my .270. I use hand loads and can reach out and touch anything comfortably whith in 300yrds. Or get the 300 Win Mag, but I am 6' 2" 240lbs and shoot all the time and I hate the kick that my Savage 110 300 mag put out so much I hardly ever take it out. It will go like this.
1st shot-Wow
2nd Shot-Wow that was really what I felt
3rd Shot-Och ok Im DONE

Well at least thats the way I felt.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:03 AM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRem700 View Post
Seems like you want a new gun, as do we all. I would say either bridge the gap get a .270 win. I have droped everthing in N. America with my .270. I use hand loads and can reach out and touch anything comfortably whith in 300yrds. Or get the 300 Win Mag, but I am 6' 2" 240lbs and shoot all the time and I hate the kick that my Savage 110 300 mag put out so much I hardly ever take it out. It will go like this.
1st shot-Wow
2nd Shot-Wow that was really what I felt
3rd Shot-Och ok Im DONE

Well at least thats the way I felt.
7mm mag has a smoother kick, very nice!!!
Old 10-26-2011, 04:26 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default We all have had the urge to buy another rifle...

I understand completely the NEED to go out and spend some of your hard earned cash on a new blaster. The only suggestion that I have is stay with a non magnum in a quality bolt action mounting a great scope. Your current rifles in 30-06 and .243 I bet are nice and you are comfortable with them. Buying something like a new Weatherby Ultra Light in say .270 Win or 30-06 would be a very nice upgrade. This would set you back ~1200-1500 dollars, a good scope would cost another 400-500 dollars. The standard calibers in either 270 Win or 30-06 will do anything the magnums do at 300 yards. Shooting non magnums is alot more fun at the range than magnums.

Karl
Old 10-27-2011, 08:51 AM
Scrub Buck

Both my 243 and 30.06 are both 760 gamemasters and are absolutley amazing but i want to get a bolt action so it will be a solid stock making it just that much more accurate. im big into function as well as looks and i really really want a remington 700bdl.I ve always wanted one and that prolly what ill get. but im still torn between a 270 and a 308 bc from what im hearing the 300 mag seem to be the least favorite. haha
Old 10-27-2011, 01:12 PM

I think you would be happy purchasing a rifle/bullet combo that is specific to the game being hunted. If you get too big then you may not enjoy the recoil experience and you already have a 243 so going smaller makes no sense. The 300wm is perfect for elk or big muleys, Canadian whitetails, so having one would fill a variaty of situations. Most times we purchase stuff that we think we need and in most cases we already have the guns that fill our needs sitting in the cabinet. I will be the first one to say I purchase firearms just because I don't have that caliber or something I've always wanted from a collecting desire. Bottom line, whatever makes you happy as a hunter and is legal to use go for it and hopefully it's what you expected.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:35 PM
Scrub Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting Man View Post
I think you would be happy purchasing a rifle/bullet combo that is specific to the game being hunted. If you get too big then you may not enjoy the recoil experience and you already have a 243 so going smaller makes no sense. The 300wm is perfect for elk or big muleys, Canadian whitetails, so having one would fill a variaty of situations. Most times we purchase stuff that we think we need and in most cases we already have the guns that fill our needs sitting in the cabinet. I will be the first one to say I purchase firearms just because I don't have that caliber or something I've always wanted from a collecting desire. Bottom line, whatever makes you happy as a hunter and is legal to use go for it and hopefully it's what you expected.
That makes alot of sense. I think i just need an excuse to buy a new gun. but i want to make an educated purchase. But whatever i get ill make sure to post pics and keep yall updated
Old 10-27-2011, 04:25 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Remington 700 BDL...

When you look at them take a second and compare the BDL and CDL. I personally like the CDL it is a cross between the mountain rifle and the BDL. The stock style is from the mountail rifle and the barrel contour is from the BDL.

Karl
Old 10-27-2011, 05:57 PM
Scrub Buck

I have several guns, different calibers, and my current #1 for deer, and probably about anything is the 7-08. I have a TC Venture, and it shoots very well, 1/2" at 100 yds, and that's probably what I'm going to get another one of. Inalso have Ruger M77 in that caliber. Then my 2 sons and I can use the same shells, etc. with the lower price on the Venture, you can splurge on the scope. My 2 cents worth. Have fun shopping!
Old 10-27-2011, 06:53 PM
B&C 120 Class

Forget the 300 mag.A little story,One day a friend and I were lounging against an old cattle barn on a hillside eating lunch.I was hunting with a Marlin 30-30 and he had a custom 300 mag.I'm 6'1'' and 185 lbs.,He's 5'6'' and about 130 lbs.There's frost on the grass.So anyway,it's doe season and a line of doe come trotting across the meadow on the opposite hillside about 120 yds away.He's on my right and I say wait till they stop and you take the first one and I'll take another one.So, they stop before entering the woods and he shoots and misses and slides around on the grass.I shot at two and dropped them both before he recovered.He told me he only fired two shots out of that rifle before hunting.I'm guessing it was because of the recoil.The land owner was glad to have the herd reduced and we each took a deer home.