Deer Hunting Forums banner

New rifle

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Hellbilly 
#1 ·
Do you think it is okay to have my new scope mounted on my new rifle before it is ever been fired. I have a brand new M70 7mm rem mag, I've clean it and oiled it out of the box, but I was wondering if it would be okay to have the guy install the new scope and sight it in? or should I shoot it a few times before?

#2 ·
I'd see no reason not to have the scope mounted before the rifle is ever fired. Is the person slated to do the mounting and sighting in experienced in both? Be aware that the eye relief that works for one shooter may not be perfect for another. The recoil of a 7 mag can be a bit snappy, so it might be wise to check your personal hold and eye relief before shooting for the first time.

One other thing I do like to do, especially with new rifles, is to make sure I check tightness of everything after returning from the first range session. It seems that it is not at all unusual to see some additional tightening needed after a rifle is first fired with a new mounting system installed.

Good luck!!

#9 ·
Take you TIME shooting with a new rifle...

There are alot of different ways to break in a new rifle. The best advise I ever heard or read just said to take your time. The bore should be kept clean and then just don't heat it real hot. It isn't a race with a new rifle and that is why alot of people recommend cleaning it alot over the first 20-40 rounds. It takes time to clean it and the barrel is cooling during that time.

Karl

#10 ·
make sure to use some of your wifes clear nail polish on the screws when mounting the scope.It holds very good,but not so go that you will bugger up the head when removing like some of the thread lock stuff will do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.