Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   Rifle Hunting (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/rifle-hunting/)
-   -   I hope I steered him right.... (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/rifle-hunting/8426-i-hope-i-steered-him-right.html)

Karl.Luhr 10-17-2011 10:24 PM

I hope I steered him right....

I have recommended the Marlin XL7 rifles to several people after looking at them. It always seemed like a good deal at a very low pricepoint. One of my friend's called a couple of days ago from the store to ask what scope he should buy for the Marlin XL7 that he just bought. Ok, he bought the rifle on my suggestion. Now he is asking me again to select the scope. I suggested that he pick up a Redfield 2x7x33 for his new Marlin.

I will be mounting the scope mount and scope in the morning. We are heading to the range in two days to sight it in.

It is easier buying something for yourself. I always worry someone else may at the end of the day not like what I recommended.

He can't afford to pay what my rifles and scopes cost. This is a major purchess for him.

I will post how everything goes together and shoots.....

Karl

WisconsinDeer 10-17-2011 10:42 PM

I wouldn't worry about it. I've heard those Marlin bolt rifles a very well made and are quite accurate. Those new Redfield scopes seem to get great reports as well.

Hunting Man 10-18-2011 06:12 AM

Don't know anything about the new Marlins and Redfields but the old Redfield scopes are still some of my favorites. I have them on several rifles and have never failed me. I don't see how your buddy could go wrong with his limited budget requirements. I'm sure he will be pleased and appreciate the advice.

turner 10-18-2011 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WisconsinDeer (Post 61119)
I wouldn't worry about it. I've heard those Marlin bolt rifles a very well made and are quite accurate. Those new Redfield scopes seem to get great reports as well.

+1, I've heard nothing but good reports about the Marlin bolt rifles and a very good Buddy put one of those 2-7x33 Redfield scopes on his new Rem 750 Carbine in .35 Whelen and is very happy with it. I handled the rifle with scope installed and the scope looked very good to me, but I didn't fire the rifle with it. He said it tracked very well at the range during his sight-in of the new rifle.

Karl.Luhr 10-18-2011 04:08 PM

Done with part one..

This is actually a gift for his Brother-in-law, the guy has helped him alot..

I have the Redfield 2x7x33 mounted, I had him to buy the Steel Weaver Grand Slam medium rings.

The scope looks real nice, he is happy with the scope position I would have prefered to bring the scope back a little farther. If it was my rifle I would use the same rings but their high ones. The Brother-in-law is taller then both of us at 6' 2". We are hoping it will be just right for him.

The Marlin scope base has four locations for the front ring. I used the rear most position. It has two locations for the rear ring, I again used the rear most slot.

We are heading to the range tomorrow morning to sight in this one and the one his Sister bought for his nephew last Christmas. I had recommended she buy her son that Marlin XL7 also. The one his Sister bought has a Nikon ProStaff on it. At the time I thought that was a good choice and I think that it is still a good one. She went with the Nikon 3x9x40.

The Marlin does look very nice for the money. The trigger is very good. If I was buying one for myself to have as a loaner, I would spend the extra 100.xx dollars if possible for a wood stock instead of plastic.

I will post how the rifles shoot after the range session....

Karl

rdrader2002 10-18-2011 06:24 PM

Thanks for the post . . . . and for the personal insight/recommendations.

Have also heard nothing but great things about both your choice of rifle and scope.

Let us know how things go at the range . . .

RR

waggle 10-18-2011 07:07 PM

Karl,
I bought me one last year! It is a XL7 270, i paid I think $25 more dollars and got the camo stock (which I think looks awesome.) And I absolutely love my gun! I shoot remington factory core-lokt 130gr. For the money its a fantastic buy!!

Karl.Luhr 10-18-2011 07:47 PM

Thanks, I think they are going to be winners...

I am really looking forward to putting some rounds down range tomorrow. Both new Marlin XL7s are 30-06s and I have loaded up my standard reloads of a Nosler 165BT pushed by 52 grains of Win760/H414. My Son and I will also be doing a little practicing for Deer hunting the opener is only 2 weeks away. All my 30-06s love this reload, I hope it works good in the Marlins. My friend also has some factory Remington 180gr loads to try in the Marlins.

Karl

JWeaver 10-19-2011 06:28 PM

I love my marlin x7. I'm hoping I get to use it next weekend. I've never had a problem with mine. You pointed those people in a good direction

Karl.Luhr 10-24-2011 08:37 PM

Two new Marlins ready for hunting...

We got the rifles to the range last Wednesday. The two Marlins were easy to dial in. We started at 25 yards with the bolts removed and centered the scopes with the bores. For the first one I wish that I had known the Weaver Grand Slam rings run short. My buddy bought the medium ones. After reading on the web I found out their medium is everyone elses low, their high is everyone elses medium ect. The new Redfield 2x7 is a very nice scope and did exactly what the adjustments requested. The other Marlin has a Nikon ProStaff 3x9 mounted by the store that sold it. That scope was farther forward than I like but I didn't want to adjust a scope without asking my friend's nephew if he likes it there first. The boy wasn't with us but asked for his rifle to be sighted in before he shot it. The Nikon also took the adjustments it was givin without drama. I only shot 3 shots out of one and two out of the other. On the last shot it was centered nicely in the bull. My buddy then had some fun at 50 yards with them. All his shots with both were grouped in the nine or ten ring definitely dead Deer. He was happy and the Remington factory 180gr loads grouped in the same group as my reloads at 50 yards. I really like these rifles, I wouldn't mind using one or giving one as a gift.

Karl