575 Yard shot down the throat. - Page 3 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 10-18-2011, 05:03 PM
Scrub Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by tator View Post
And the rifle you were using was...........?

Tator,

That's what happens when you "skim" through something and then make a comment. I share that info in the clip:) Christensen Arms 300 UM, but the question should also be about the load and scope.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2011, 05:49 PM

Sometimes sharing things net less than expected returns. I appreciate you accepting constructive monday morning quarterbacking on your shot. We really try to steer hunters to err on the caution side rather than loose a game animal. As hunters we seem to always have to be able to justify our actions. Be careful in your future world wide web postings and good luck hunting.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:22 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Your Custom 300UM rifle...

I have seen a couple of long range rifles like yours at the range. I think most of them were from Lazaroni(sp). The rifles were all in their propriatry chamberings, warbird, firebird, ext. I do remember that there was no shortage of powder with a long barrel to burn it. Some of them had very noisy muzzle brakes on them. What scope are you using? I am guessing it might be one of the nightforce ones. I think they are considered one of the best but you have to pay for it...

Karl
Old 10-19-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattinthewild View Post
Your choice of words and tone seem to say more about "You" than the story. Your comments are not constructive but fueled by irrational thought and emotion. I put my first post up ever and you fire your mouth off. Wow! Welcome to forum I guess. I'm a big boy though and can respect you being honest, mean, but again honest. Be nicer:)
out of all the replies you got about your video my reply to Tator's question upset you?
(my reply to Tator = was full of crap like the rest of the story.)

I'm not a beat around the bush kind of guy, getting right to the point has always been the best plan of action for me.
I am however a very nice, honest, considerate and fair guy the kind of guy you'd want in your corner when you come under attack.
I've looked at several of your video's and they are really awesome video's but for the life of me, I just don't understand why you would want to use the mouth shot muley to promote yourself here at the Deer Hunters Club.

Your video doesnt show me a long or short range shot and for all we know it may have been a 50 yard shot, We've all heard those type of stories but billing it as a long range shot tends to allow for a little more acceptance to the outcome, giving the shooter some forgiveness for what many hunters would consider an unethical performance all around.
I want to ask you to take a minute and think about the following before you reply.
Did you really honestly believe that by posting this video to hunters that we would accept it without any response?

Old 10-19-2011, 08:20 AM

It looks like you've removed the Throat shot Muley video, I think that was a very wise decision.
I wish you had posted your "Eastern Nevada Mustangs" Video or "Runnin With the Moose" or "How to Squeak in a Fox" video
Any of those would have been great introduction video's, All great for promoting yourself. just my opinion..
Good Luck and Happy Safe hunting always.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:13 AM
B&C 180 Class

I think the main point mattinthewild is not getting is that he took a 600yd shot at a deer that he didn't have perfectly calculated and aimed and got lucky. That's what you are forgetting to say. If you took that shot 10 times, I'm betting you miss or severely injure that animal 9 of the times. The very quote came out of your mouth "I missed high". OK, in my book if you are shooting at 600yds and you practice practice practice like you said, then the only reason to take that 600yd shot is if YOU KNOW WITHOUT A DOUBT you're going to kill that animal. You obviously didn't. Not saying you didn't have the confidence in yourself (you obviously did), but you did not know 100% if you were going to kill him or not.

that's our point. and that's hunting ethics. that video is also why "they" are trying to take our favorite pastime away from us.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:18 AM
B&C 180 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattinthewild View Post
Tator, That's what happens when you "skim" through something and then make a comment.

I apologize, but when an animal I love to hunt is being jerked around on camera and then has a camera shoved down it's throat on youtube, I decided to "skim" through it. Didn't find it flattering.

btw... please make a video of you using that firearm at 600yds hitting a 6 inch plate. I bet you can't do it 2 out of 10 times.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:20 PM
Scrub Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBruce1959 View Post
out of all the replies you got about your video my reply to Tator's question upset you?
(my reply to Tator = was full of crap like the rest of the story.)

I'm not a beat around the bush kind of guy, getting right to the point has always been the best plan of action for me.
I am however a very nice, honest, considerate and fair guy the kind of guy you'd want in your corner when you come under attack.
I've looked at several of your video's and they are really awesome video's but for the life of me, I just don't understand why you would want to use the mouth shot muley to promote yourself here at the Deer Hunters Club.

Your video doesnt show me a long or short range shot and for all we know it may have been a 50 yard shot, We've all heard those type of stories but billing it as a long range shot tends to allow for a little more acceptance to the outcome, giving the shooter some forgiveness for what many hunters would consider an unethical performance all around.
I want to ask you to take a minute and think about the following before you reply.
Did you really honestly believe that by posting this video to hunters that we would accept it without any response?
Well said. After reading your comments you make total sense. Thanks for being honest. And you do sound like a nice guy. Thanks.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:50 PM

BB is a nice guy, a big ole fuzzy warm kind of Vermonter.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:48 AM
B&C 120 Class

Yeah, I think that mattinthewild has been "chastised" enough, he seems to understand that the video was not very smart. I agree with you HM and Bruce, stuff like that does not need to be advertised, we absolutely do NOT NEED to give the anti's more ammo with which to kill us. Especially with a president and congress who are fully determined to take our guns and our hunting from us. I personally refuse to even talk to non-hunters about hunting, there is no way to make them understand that the actual kill is only the last 5% of the whole deal. It just falls on very deaf ears.