575 Yard shot down the throat. - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 10-17-2011, 06:17 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default You made a great shot, BUT

You made a fantastic shot that you will remember for the rest of your life. You can be proud of you ability to make it. The problem that I have with it is 99.9% of the shooters/hunters can't shoot that far. Watching your video someone else might think hea I want to try that, bad idea. Again you made a very tuff shot, I just hope others doing try to copy it. I have Elk hunted with a guy that shot his Elk at 450 yards. He got it on a shot that I know I would not have taken. My rifle was capable of his shot, I wasn't capable of his shot. It is very important for our sport that we all know our limitations and respect the wonderful animals that we are hunting. I know that you wouldn't have taken the shot if you thought you were past your personal limit.

Congradulations on a great shot...

Karl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2011, 08:57 AM
B&C 180 Class

I just skimmed through the video and wasn't impressed. I agree with HM
Old 10-18-2011, 11:41 AM
Scrub Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
Agreed. My longest shot was right at 250 and that's about where I draw the line. I usually say to each his own but that is so far beyond the norm for most people.

I wonder how many animals have died a slow and agonizing death from shots like that? To many probably.
The distance of a shot is not always and cannot always be directly related to ethical practice. I practice shooting my guns at 7,8, and 900 yards. It's all I do is practice, practice, practice. At 600 yards I can consistently hit a 6 inch plate over and over again. My shot on this deer felt ever so comfortable. That is how practice pays off. 9 out of 10 hunters should have never taken such a shot. I have never taken a shot at a deer that I did not drop within 20 yards of his hit. What is debatable was the positioning of the deer. It was facing me but my options were limited and I took the shot and I was successful.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:02 PM
B&C 180 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattinthewild View Post
I practice shooting my guns at 7,8, and 900 yards. It's all I do is practice, practice, practice. At 600 yards I can consistently hit a 6 inch plate over and over again.

And the rifle you were using was...........?

Old 10-18-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tator View Post
And the rifle you were using was...........?

was full of crap like the rest of the story.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:27 PM
Scrub Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBruce1959 View Post
was full of crap like the rest of the story.
Wow! Seriously? I'm speechless. Explain yourself.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:35 PM

I saw a video of a muley that was obviously shot in the mouth, i didnt see any long range shot like the post was titled, sounds like a crap story to me.

Old 10-18-2011, 03:08 PM

My only problem was you shot at a game animal with very limited almost no margin of error at a very long range with really poor shot angle and still took the shot, no game animal ethics. If the buck was facing you, I assume, could you have waited him out to move closer and take a better shot? 99.9% of hunters would have passed on the shot as too big of wounding potential. You got your buck, congrats, but I would have kept it to myself and not sent it all over the web, nothing to brag about to me. I have several rifles fully capable of that range but I give game animals the benifit of doubt when highly questionable shots are at had. You made the decision that any shot is ok, given the yardage and where you hit him, it won't pass muster here, sorry. To quote you" I had limited options" one option that you should have taken was to not shoot!

Last edited by Hunting Man; 10-18-2011 at 03:12 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:45 PM
Scrub Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting Man View Post
My only problem was you shot at a game animal with very limited almost no margin of error at a very long range with really poor shot angle and still took the shot, no game animal ethics. If the buck was facing you, I assume, could you have waited him out to move closer and take a better shot? 99.9% of hunters would have passed on the shot as too big of wounding potential. You got your buck, congrats, but I would have kept it to myself and not sent it all over the web, nothing to brag about to me. I have several rifles fully capable of that range but I give game animals the benifit of doubt when highly questionable shots are at had. You made the decision that any shot is ok, given the yardage and where you hit him, it won't pass muster here, sorry. To quote you" I had limited options" one option that you should have taken was to not shoot!
Constructive feedback. I agree. Thanks. Agreed too that the decision to shoot may not have been the best one. I am a new hunter an plan on making many more mistakes along the way. That's how you learn right. The clip was not to "brag". The fact that the bullet went down his throat was evidence enough that I was high on my shot. I shared this because it was a rare moment. And I don't only post my greatest moments on the web. I share them all and along as they are a part of my hunting journey.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:54 PM
Scrub Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBruce1959 View Post
I saw a video of a muley that was obviously shot in the mouth, i didnt see any long range shot like the post was titled, sounds like a crap story to me.
Your choice of words and tone seem to say more about "You" than the story. Your comments are not constructive but fueled by irrational thought and emotion. I put my first post up ever and you fire your mouth off. Wow! Welcome to forum I guess. I'm a big boy though and can respect you being honest, mean, but again honest. Be nicer:)