Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   Rifle Hunting (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/rifle-hunting/)
-   -   Dont want to bother anyone... but (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/rifle-hunting/841-dont-want-bother-anyone-but.html)

Lever lover 10-24-2007 06:44 PM

Dont want to bother anyone... but

Hi everyone, i am also new to this site (Your all thinking "ugh another new kid to entertain") but i dont want to be like the other 100 annoying kids running around the forum. (no offence) Just have a simple question for some of the more experienced moderators... If your hunting deer for the meat only, is it shameful to shoot a smaller buck? People always tell me to let them grow but i just cant imagine an old, tough buck is going to taste as good as a younger one. Just looking for some opinions, and thanks in advanced!

LAHunter 10-24-2007 08:36 PM

For meat only, shoot a doe (when allowed) or a spike. In fact, ALWAYS shoot a spike, unless you're in a club that still lumps spikes in with branched-antlered bucks, which is incorrect but that's a discussion for another time.

Here's the situations when I say it's ok to shoot a small buck (i.e. a 4 or 6 point that is obviously sporting its first set of antlers):

1) You're under 16 and it's your first deer.

2) You depend on the meat to live (if you have a computer and internet access, you don't qualify for this one)

3) It's the last day of the season and your wife has declared a yard-sale on hunting gear if you don't bring something home.

4) Your herd is overcrowded and your authorized to shoot anything you see (if this ever happens, PM me so I can give you my phone number)

critter gitter 10-24-2007 09:18 PM

Personally for me, where I hunt there are so many does that if I were just hunting for the meat I would not even bother with a buck I'd shoot the first doe to come along.

buckfever 10-24-2007 09:28 PM

if your hunting your on land or public land shoot whatever deer you want too. a trophy to some is a doe and others a trophy is only a 120 class or better deer.

is it shameful to shoot a smaller buck? absolutely not. if that makes you happy shoot it the first chance you get. and yes meat from a young buck should taste a little better than a buck that is 3-6 yrs old.

personally for me now i let the small bucks walk and wait on a doe to show up when im hunting for deer meat. plus eliminating a doe helps keep your deer herd in check..

there is no right and wrong way in choosing between a big buck or a small buck. if your on your own land or public land then the decision is strickly up to you. now if your in a club please pay attention to your club rules.

and welcome to the site.

Lever lover 10-25-2007 12:24 PM

thanks for the advise so far, i think im leaning towards a doe now... but we all know what its like when a nice big buck stops up to your stand! i have to say i wouldnt hesitate to shoot. anyway, thanks for taking some time out of your day to answer a young hunters question

buckfever 10-25-2007 01:52 PM

if its a big buck... SHOOT IT.. you might not see him again. you can get a doe or young buck for the meat later if that what you want.

Lever lover 10-25-2007 03:02 PM

Beleive me, Buckfever, I would!

joel the signman 10-26-2007 11:10 PM

first off if you have a tag and and a license shoot whatever YOU WANT other peoples opinions are just that opinions.If its a legal animal your well within your rights.I personally hunt for meat and could care less bout racks,aint found a way to cook em yet.I like to shoot does cuz we got so many they hand out the tags pretty liberally.Any deer you take legally by any legal means is a trophy DONT LET ANYONE TELL YOU OTHERWISE.Now get out and hunt:boxing:

BruceBruce1959 10-27-2007 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joel the signman (Post 4520)
first off if you have a tag and and a license shoot whatever YOU WANT other peoples opinions are just that opinions.If its a legal animal your well within your rights.I personally hunt for meat and could care less bout racks,aint found a way to cook em yet.I like to shoot does cuz we got so many they hand out the tags pretty liberally.Any deer you take legally by any legal means is a trophy DONT LET ANYONE TELL YOU OTHERWISE.Now get out and hunt:boxing:

:goodposting: Couldn't have Said it any better....

buckfever 10-27-2007 08:47 AM

well said joel