Build a deer rifle for $240 - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 10-14-2011, 01:54 AM
B&C 140 Class

Default Fmj?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisconsinDeer View Post
If I'm not mistaken, using FMJ bullets for deer hunting is illegal in Texas, right?
Copper tipped is not quite the same as FMJ. Yup, you're absolutely correct that FMJ is illegal. I wouldn't be using the ammo if I thought I'd end up in jail for using it.

But for now, I have plenty of other "toys" to be playing with.

Do know one thing for certain though, if it's down to the last weekend of the season and the freezer is still empty -- the Mosin is coming out 'cause I know for certain that it will put something in it.

RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2011, 11:10 PM
B&C 140 Class

I don't think I've heard the term "copper tipped" before. What's the difference between that and a FMJ bullet?
Old 10-15-2011, 02:11 PM
B&C 100 Class

he might be referring to a hollow point, which would fully explain the hole the size of his fist. FMJ is illegal to hunt with because it does not expand, its designed to pentrate. The military uses FMJ rather than soft point because if you wound a guy you take 3 guys off the field, the dead one and the 2 guys to carry him. Soft point just kills a guy.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawT Sauc3 View Post
The military uses FMJ rather than soft point because if you wound a guy you take 3 guys off the field, the dead one and the 2 guys to carry him. Soft point just kills a guy.
HUH? Does that mean the one killed by a soft point walks off the field alone?

Last edited by BruceBruce1959; 10-16-2011 at 05:52 PM.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:46 PM
B&C 100 Class

it means the guy is dead and irrelevant until the battle is over. you cant save a dead guy, but you can save a wounded soldier. thats why fmj is designed to wound not kill.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:22 PM

I've posted before that I never served in the military, but we shoot 30 cal fmj into someone and it's not designed to kill them? I understand the extra medics involved for wounded thing but survival after being hit with any bullet in a vital area is probably not very high. Not quite sure I understand the the thoughts here completely.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:21 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawT Sauc3 View Post
he might be referring to a hollow point, which would fully explain the hole the size of his fist. FMJ is illegal to hunt with because it does not expand, its designed to pentrate. The military uses FMJ rather than soft point because if you wound a guy you take 3 guys off the field, the dead one and the 2 guys to carry him. Soft point just kills a guy.
The Geneva Convention specifies that only FMJ be used in war, which is why we and other NATO countries use it. FMJ bullets are also cheaper to produce. Although, the 5.45x39 7N6 FMJ bullet is extremely devastating, probably more so than a hollow point or soft point.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:43 PM
B&C 100 Class

What is the difference between SP vs. HP vs. FMJ vs. FMJ-BT ammunition bullets? - Yahoo! Answers

first answer defines it. i could find real sources if you want, but im lazy and that sums up what real research would find
Old 10-18-2011, 06:17 PM
B&C 140 Class

FMJ has a solid copper shell outside with a lead core. It's designed (like everyone else has mentioned) to go straight thru with minimal mushrooming.

The copper tipped bullet folds inward upon impact, causing the lead core behind to mushroom exponentially around it. Putting the round into the shoulder caused the round to nearly fully mushroom. I don't know if anyone has seen a 180 grain bullet that has been fully mushroomed - it's about 2 - 2 1/2 inches across plus 7.62x54 has lots of power behind it.

I can't begin to imagine the impact a round like that has on a human body. . . . . . . and sure hope I never have to.

RR