busted for killing my dog - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 10-06-2011, 08:11 PM
Scrub Buck

Default busted for killing my dog

I hunt here in Ark; plenty of deer, bear, yotes;
I had a 78 lb. german sheperd dog that was a fantastic deer dog; man, she would sniff 'em out, and run 'em back around to you;

I always put a blaze orange full body vest on her, so some idiot wouldn't mistake her fo a coyote;

Last fall, I was letting her run, while I was sitting on top of a mountain peak, where I could see her running about;

There is a road down the mountain about 1/4 mile away; 3 guys are sitting around /on tailgate of their truck; They start taking pot shots at my dog, (which has a full orange vest on); One of the guys finally killed her, and they all laughed about it;

I shot him thru the knee with my .270; didnt want to kill him, but I crippled him for life, cause he shot my dog; made the others drop their guns, while I called game and fish, and told them what happened;

Now I have to go to court;

What would you all do, when you see guys intentiontally trying to kill your dog? I told the guy he was lucky I didnt shoot him in the head;
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2011, 08:32 PM

The law says you will take the biggest hit. I'm a big time dog lover and don't know what I would do in the same situation but the law says just report and hope the court does you right. Sorry to hear of your loss. Those guys are scumbags. I do try to keep my dogs on leash. Let us know of the court findings and good luck as I think you will need it.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:50 PM
B&C 140 Class

All I can say is, that guy deserved it.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:01 PM
B&C 100 Class

The guy deserved it but you will be in more trouble than him. Best to let the law handle it.

Good luck I hope you win. I can't say with certitude what I would have done.

Last edited by Crawdaddy; 10-06-2011 at 10:03 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:06 AM
B&C 100 Class

That is messed up. The sad part is you will probably be punished more then they will. Its not right. The laws are not always in favor of the victim. I can't blame you for doing what you did. If you would have killed him it would have been the easy way out. Now everyday that guys alive he will be messed up and have walking issues and pain. He gets to think about for the rest of his life. Karma will find its way back to him. I hope you don't get into too much trouble, and sorry about your dog.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:56 AM

You may be found at fault because your life was not directly threatened causing your actions not to be justified. You could've gotten in a good heap of trouble just by beating the crap out those idiots. If they threatened your life verbally and pointed a gun at you then yes you have the right to defend yourself in an "equal" fashion. If they said to you "I'm gonna kick your @$$" and threw a punch at you then you are able to defend yourself in an "equal" fashion. I know that physical self defense thing sucks but I had to live by that rule for many years having licensed hands and had to take the 1st punch in the nose before "defending myself". However, NY laws may be a little different that ARK too.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:00 AM

First of all I'm sorry your dog was killed, they were wrong for shooting and killing your dog but
you were just as wrong for shooting another person even if as you say, it was "just through the knee".

next time you or anyone else gets into this situation just make the phone call and let the proper authorities handle it.
Good Luck in court.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:43 AM
B&C 140 Class

Thumbs down

Well I, for one, do not wish you any luck at all in court. If they choose to throw the book at you, I'd be happy to see that. You intentionally shot another human. As a human being you are supposed to have the advantage of reasoning. You apparently do not, figuring that your dog = another person (a person just like you, actually; foolishly shooting at something illegally!)

You might have made a bad shot at that distance, hit the other person a tad high, severed his femoral artery in the process and that person would have been dead in about 2 minutes. You bullet might have ricocheted and then hit another one of those people in the head killing him instantly.

I'd like to see you get jail time and jail time away from a PC so we might not have to read any more of your silly, ignorant posts here. I wish you the worst of luck on your upcoming court date.

Last edited by turner; 10-07-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:14 AM
B&C 100 Class

Turner I agree with you. Its people like this that give hunters a bad name. I am not a dog person but I respect those that are, however they must realize that it is still an animal not a human. I firmly believe that this guy will get what he deserves. Now because of his ignorance there is a man that will be crippled for the rest of his life over a dog that was away from his owner and could have been aggressive toward these men but we don't know that because we get just one side of the story. This all sounds a little fishy to me. I hope you make alot of friends in the big house you deserve it.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:18 AM
B&C 140 Class

Wow! You actually shot the guy??? That was not smart...or the right thing to do. There will be consequences for that I'm sure.