Deer Hunting Forums banner

busted for killing my dog

7K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  justin7825 
#1 ·
I hunt here in Ark; plenty of deer, bear, yotes;
I had a 78 lb. german sheperd dog that was a fantastic deer dog; man, she would sniff 'em out, and run 'em back around to you;

I always put a blaze orange full body vest on her, so some idiot wouldn't mistake her fo a coyote;

Last fall, I was letting her run, while I was sitting on top of a mountain peak, where I could see her running about;

There is a road down the mountain about 1/4 mile away; 3 guys are sitting around /on tailgate of their truck; They start taking pot shots at my dog, (which has a full orange vest on); One of the guys finally killed her, and they all laughed about it;

I shot him thru the knee with my .270; didnt want to kill him, but I crippled him for life, cause he shot my dog; made the others drop their guns, while I called game and fish, and told them what happened;

Now I have to go to court;

What would you all do, when you see guys intentiontally trying to kill your dog? I told the guy he was lucky I didnt shoot him in the head;

See less See more
#2 ·
The law says you will take the biggest hit. I'm a big time dog lover and don't know what I would do in the same situation but the law says just report and hope the court does you right. Sorry to hear of your loss. Those guys are scumbags. I do try to keep my dogs on leash. Let us know of the court findings and good luck as I think you will need it.

#5 ·
That is messed up. The sad part is you will probably be punished more then they will. Its not right. The laws are not always in favor of the victim. I can't blame you for doing what you did. If you would have killed him it would have been the easy way out. Now everyday that guys alive he will be messed up and have walking issues and pain. He gets to think about for the rest of his life. Karma will find its way back to him. I hope you don't get into too much trouble, and sorry about your dog.

#6 ·
You may be found at fault because your life was not directly threatened causing your actions not to be justified. You could've gotten in a good heap of trouble just by beating the crap out those idiots. If they threatened your life verbally and pointed a gun at you then yes you have the right to defend yourself in an "equal" fashion. If they said to you "I'm gonna kick your @$$" and threw a punch at you then you are able to defend yourself in an "equal" fashion. I know that physical self defense thing sucks but I had to live by that rule for many years having licensed hands and had to take the 1st punch in the nose before "defending myself". However, NY laws may be a little different that ARK too.

#7 ·
First of all I'm sorry your dog was killed, they were wrong for shooting and killing your dog but
you were just as wrong for shooting another person even if as you say, it was "just through the knee".

next time you or anyone else gets into this situation just make the phone call and let the proper authorities handle it.
Good Luck in court.

#8 · (Edited)
Well I, for one, do not wish you any luck at all in court. If they choose to throw the book at you, I'd be happy to see that. You intentionally shot another human. As a human being you are supposed to have the advantage of reasoning. You apparently do not, figuring that your dog = another person (a person just like you, actually; foolishly shooting at something illegally!)

You might have made a bad shot at that distance, hit the other person a tad high, severed his femoral artery in the process and that person would have been dead in about 2 minutes. You bullet might have ricocheted and then hit another one of those people in the head killing him instantly.

I'd like to see you get jail time and jail time away from a PC so we might not have to read any more of your silly, ignorant posts here. I wish you the worst of luck on your upcoming court date.

#9 ·
Turner I agree with you. Its people like this that give hunters a bad name. I am not a dog person but I respect those that are, however they must realize that it is still an animal not a human. I firmly believe that this guy will get what he deserves. Now because of his ignorance there is a man that will be crippled for the rest of his life over a dog that was away from his owner and could have been aggressive toward these men but we don't know that because we get just one side of the story. This all sounds a little fishy to me. I hope you make alot of friends in the big house you deserve it.

#11 ·
I honestly do not think this thread should be opened and discussed in a public forum here on the DHC. It may or may not be a real story but the anti's take stories like this and use them to show a side of hunters and gun owners/users that paints a bad picture to the general public. We need to be very careful about what we do and say because everything that can be taken out of context and twisted by someone to achieve thier goal will be used.

I am sorry for your loss but you deserve a just punishment.

#14 ·
Sorry, but I'm simply curious as to why you'd even want a posting like that on a nice site like this?? The man admitted to committing a felony act, perhaps even attempted murder and you think that's OK to print here on this forum? I'm sorry, but I'm at a loss to understand that, at all. :no:

We live in a nation where freedom to speak and think are allowed, to a point. If you state you want to kill someone, that can be a punishable offense. Some are bothered by the fact(?) that this person's dog was shot. Well, it's a fact, not a rumor, that the laws, social mores, and overall feelings in this country do not allow for someone to shoot another person because they alledgedly shot their dog. We are, after, all a civilized nation with laws pertaining to both animal cruelty and assault, attempted murder, etc.

This is more then ridiculous, come on now...really?? :mellow:

#15 ·
He did not necessarily commit a felony. I don't pretend to know the laws where he lives but a number of states allow you to protect property using lethal force.

Rethinking the whole situation, I never considered the possibility that we have a troll here posting this just to solicit disparaging remarks.

My last post in this thread.

#16 ·
Turner, between you and me I'd hate to be the one who shot my dogs. I don't agree with his actions based on the story, true or false. Let the court decide his fate not here. Everyone gets to voice an equal opinion that's the rule whether we agree or not. That's what I try to moderate by. Many times here members have opposing views lets not get into it over something like this guy's post. He got his (one) post of fame/shame and should be gone. Time to breathe and get back to normal constructive outdoors's posting.

#19 ·
I just want to state this one more time, as hunters and gun owners we should be careful about what is posted. Any one can view this forum and I feel that those already against us can use this against hunters and gun owners. On an aside, I am part of a trapping forum and they are ever vigilant about what is openly discussed, even if a necessary part of the sport. Those that do not understand can take things out of context and use out against us. Whether the story is true out false I don't care, it does not belong here. Thats all I've got.

#20 ·
I understand what you're saying timetohunt, and I agree with you, but I don't think cowaring into a silent corner is the best way to handle these type of posts.
Hunting is one of our oldest Traditions and thanks to those who hunted long before all of us, it was then and still is the safest outdoor activity to participate in.
Hunters are governed by rules, regulations and Law not only State Law but Federal Law too and when you consider the Multi-Millions of active hunters involved,
Hunters should stand Tall & Proud of the reputations they have created and continue to pass on for the following generations to enjoy.
Anti's can use any information they choose to use to carry on their rhetoric but in the end it's ultimately going to be decided by a Judge & jury to determine fact from fiction.
Now this is just my opinion on this issue but if the DHC owner or one of the other moderators decides to remove this thread, I would support their decision to do so but I really don't think it's neccessary.
Good Luck & Happy Hunting :coffee:

#21 ·
OK... I had to read and re-read that original post about 5 times to make sure I saw "I SHOT HIM IN THE KNEE". I have to go with most of the people on here and say that wasn't the best idea in the world. The way the law will look at it is animal vs. human. He shot your dog, yes that is bad and horrible, but you shot him. Doesn't matter where at, you shot him. In my eyes, that's attempted manslaughter and you'll probably never get to hold a gun or weapon again for the rest of your life... and rightfully so. *they may take away your dog owning privileges b/c you weren't able to "handle yourself in a correct manner" when the dog got killed.
I would say good luck,,, but I think you deserve some time in jail for this one. sorry!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.