Deer Hunting Forums banner

What weapon should I use?

• 30-30

Votes: 6 50.0%

Votes: 6 50.0%

What gun should I use?

7K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  rockman57 
#1 ·
What gun should I use? I have a choice of a 30-30 or a .243. I weigh about 65 lbs. I'll only be taking a 110 yard shot in a well wooded area besides a 1 acre field.

#4 ·
if you can handle the 30-30 i would use that in the thick wooded areas your hunting. if you can't handle the 30-30 the .243 should work fine as long as you have a clear shot. just dont try to shoot through thick stuff with a .243.

the 30-30 would be my first choice in the woods as long as you are comfortable with it.

#6 ·
yea critter i wasnt trying to sound like a jerk. Just saying with a younger shooter i would try to get them to hit the vitals first. Dont get me wrong the neck shot will definitly fold them up. Its just not always an easy shot especially in thick woods, and they tend to move there neck first. ya know? i have made a neck shot though in my time and know its very effective. sorry bout that.

#7 ·
I agree with buckfever, IF you can handle the .30-30 That's what I would go with.
The .30-30 has always been an old favorite of many hunters it's a caliber you just can't go wrong with when just starting out.

#12 ·
try em both see what feels better to YOU.your the one shooting it:thumbup:

#14 ·
You are asking a tough question, and only you can provide the best answer for yourself. I have shot deer with 30-30, 30-06, and 243.

I would stay away from the neck shot, unless that is your only choice and you have a good tree to lean against. Not that what the others are saying is wrong. There is no doubt, it will down a deer fast. But it is a tough shot to make. I personally like that front shoulder.

If the woods you are hunting in is very thick with cover, I would go with the 30-30. If it is somehwat open, and you are using a scope so you can pick your shot between the brush, I would go with the 243. If you use the 243, use the 100 gr bullet.

Finally, which gun do you shoot the best with? What ever it is, the 30-30 or the 243, that is the one I would use.

#16 ·

It sounds like to 243 would be the best bet for you, but my advice not only as a experienced hunter and gun collector, but also as a shooting instructor is to make sure no matter what cartridge you choose is make sure the gun fits you make you is shoulders comfortably and you like the way if fits and feels don't go buy a certain gun just cause someone told you it was a good rifle. With your small frame, the 243 would be the best and the 243 can reach out to 200 or even 250 yards if you know the gun and how to hold. The 06 might have just to much of a kick for a small frame i myself grew up with a 30-30 and the kick never bothered me. But i wasn't small.

#18 ·
You probably should go with a 30-30 i lost a few deer with a 243 and they don't leave a good blood trail. I bought a 30-06 ruger and i love it but weighing less than 100 pounds not a good idea. Im 6'1 and i still pull after shootin 10 or 15 times but it all depends how you fell with the gun.

#19 ·
110yd shot in the woods?Man I'd love to see them woods firsthand.Ill bet theys prettier than a spotted pup.Personally I'd go with the 243 but thats because I've taken about 6 deer over the last four years with my daughter's while hunting the woods.Not sure how accurate your 30-30 is but I've heard the new lever-loution ammo improves it's ballistics a little.The 30-30 is definatly a known brush gun but them sound like some open woods to me.
Good Luck Either Way,
Rock

#20 ·
One more thing.I always shot into or right behind the front shoulder as broadside as the deer will get for me.If slightly angling away go right behind and if angled while coming towards you then center of shoulder.Thats just my opinion.I try to take out both lungs.
Rock

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.