Deer Hunting Forums banner

advice please!

8K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  rdrader2002 
#1 · (Edited)
My father was never much of a hunter but i finally got him into it. Heres my problem. We have 2 rifles, one is a marlin 336a 30-30 with the sights that came with it and the other is a savage bolt action single shot 30-06 with a cheap simmons scope... I like the looks of the 30-30 but i heard the 336a was the cheapest version which made me a little worried about its reliablilty. Savages are ugly but fairly accurate from what i hear.. would the simmons scope keep it from reaching full potential? Thanks in advanced!

#6 ·
I was looking forward to your response. From what ive read on this site so far you seem to be on of the most knowledgabl so i will take your advise seriously. I definatly respect experience. Is anyone here familiar with Chuck Hawks? From the advise he gives, the 30-30 seems to be the right choice... I'm very new to hunting so im looking to get all the knowledge i can

#7 ·
thanks for the respect you have shown. that is the same respect i have for alot of other guys on this site also. we have some guys on here that have been hunting alot longer than myself. so please also heed there advice as well. just read around the forums some and you will pick up on some of the "old timers" on here. i have heard of chuck hawks but do not follow him closely at all.

when i head to the woods i tend to take my 30-06 as my first choice. i get a liitle more distance out of it and it provides more knock down power than my 30-30. but even though i choose that gun i have never killed a deer with the 30-06 that i could not have also killed with the 30-30. i am always in the woods where my shots are usually under 100 yds. those are both good woods guns in my book.

#8 ·
Both rifles sound like good rifles, and it depends on hunting area. Very thick short shots 30-30 would do fine with open sights, longer shots and open area, where a scope might be needed, would use the 30-06. There is nothing wrong with a Simmons Scope, some people demand a little more from both gun and scope. Probably the people that say change scope would say change gun. Shoot the rifle some and as long as it will zero and shoot a good group, go with it.

#12 ·
336A marling

Just a comment regarding the marlin. I had one for years, with no problems. I juust traded mine in for a 742 remington 308 carbine. I agree it is probably one of the lower end models, but who cares. if the gun is working fine, keep it clean and I don't think you will have any problems. I believe your Dad will out grow the bolt action very quickly. There is nothing like the rush you get when you have fired your shot at the deer and he keeps running (miss?maybe -maybe not).
Your Dad would appreciate a second shot!!!.
In either case enjoy the hunting with your Dad, time is precious

#13 ·
I beleive you deerhunter, from the things you have posted so far you seem like a respectable kid. And you edited the comment instead of posting a new one so thankyou for that as well... Justbe careful about what gets posted on here because these guys are experienced and respectable men!

#15 · (Edited)
You should have taken that Simmons scope off and sent it back to simmons for repair. I'd even bet they probably would have repaired or replaced it for free... Don't knock the lower priced (cheap) scopes,,,,, CHEAP doesn't always constitute poor quality...
I have a 3-9x40 Bushnell, Had it for years (about 25 years to be exact) that scope is so accurate and has such a crystal clear view, I can hit thumb tacks at 100 yards (Done that many times) and the funny thing is after I had that scope for about 8 months the horizontal crosshair busted ,, I sent it in to have it fixed and Bushnell fixed it for free.. And the COST,,, I paid $ 39.95 plus tax for it.
I STILL use and prefer that scope over every other scope I've ever used. Please don't go to thinking that the COST makes the better scopes. sometimes $ 39.95 is just as good as $ 539.95 but I think we all like keeping that extra $500.00 in our own pockets...

#16 ·
that scope come with the mount that you can flip the whole thing over and use the iron sights?cuz thats the 1 i got.I also agree that the most expensive isnt always the best.The bottom line is a lot of stuff is marketed to mens EGOS.Nothing you can buy will make up up for basic skills.I think more people should shoot iron sights.My grandfather said scopes was cheating....I see crossman bb/pellet guns with scopes."Put the front pin in the "V" and squeeze the trigger"words to live by.Then again if you dont master marksmenship ya wont be living to long

#17 ·
Joel, You're so right... Everyone should start with the basic skills of hunting..
Iron sights never failed our fathers and grandfathers....

#18 ·
"FEAR THE MAN WHO OWNS BUT ONE GUN"he's likely to know how to use it:boxing:

#20 ·
Ok well let me make a correction... Not saying that expensive is better just saying ya get what ya pay for.. and honestly i dont have an expensive scope.. think i paid 150 bucks for a cheaper leupold... and simmons makes a great scope... just dont trust the scope that come as a package deal with a savage.. savage guns have alot of recoil... and my opinion is it is to cheap.... I'd hate to be on a hunting trip and have to send my scope to get fixed... It'd be very miserable. And i've got three deer rifles and none of them came with iron sights... Really all I'm saying is make sure everything is still intact before ya trust a cheaper scope when the BUCK OF A LIFE TIME steps into view..

#23 ·
Go with whatever is comfortable

I have a Marlin 336C. I put Weaver mounts on it allowing me to use both the scope (inexpensive Tasco 3x9) AND the original open sights for game (or the neighbor's dog that was killing my chickens) that is too close for a scope. That 30/30 has been great for us over the years. Check out my son's 8 pt last year in the Young Huntsmen gallery. Note the Marlin he used.

I also have a Savage 270. Haven't used it much but it certainly is accurate, once I bother getting to the range to get it sighted in. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

RR

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.