Vital-Shok Sierra GameKing Boat Tail Soft Point - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 10-01-2011, 12:55 AM
B&C 100 Class

Default Vital-Shok Sierra GameKing Boat Tail Soft Point

My father in law just sold his 270 and gave me 3 boxes of Federal vital-shok gameking boat tail ammo in 130 grains. I originally had my 270 set up for the 130 grain core lockts, but shot a few of these and have it dialed back in. I would appreciate any feed back on how they perform on deer from 30-200 yards, Im in a hardwoods area thats up against a field so I could have a short shot possibly. With the core lokts I usually have a pass through, but would like the bullet here to drop all its energy in the deer. The land owner next door does not allow people on his property so I do not want to chance it making that far if it decides to go that direction. The 3 deer I killed with the core lokts never made it real far, so I'm kinda in the "if it aint broke don't fix it mindset", but am curious if the federals will performs better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2011, 10:47 AM
B&C 140 Class

The Sierra Game King is a fine cup and core bullet. In that weight, for deer, it will do a fine job. They are also well known for their typically excellent accuracy. Sounds like a good time to try something "new"!
Old 10-01-2011, 11:56 PM
B&C 100 Class

They shoot very tight groups so I am gonna try them. Maybe these will be my new go to in the 270. My savage doesn't seem real picky on ammo really. I have tried different brands and weights and it shoots them all acceptable. I like the 130s for the flat shooting but have seen what a 140 Barnes can do to a hog, and it was impressive.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:31 AM
B&C 140 Class

That is the bullet I shoot from my 270. I have shot some deer with it, and it seems to do ok. It seems at close range they blow through quite easily. At longer distances they work a little better for me. Close shots equal long trails with this bullet...
Old 10-02-2011, 07:13 PM
B&C 100 Class

To expend all of the kinetic energy at short range you would most likely have to reduce the load or find a bullet that will fragment completely . Both bring about a whole new set of problems.

You are using a fine bullet. I would concentrate on shot placement and not worry about expending all the energy at short range.

Good luck.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:01 PM
B&C 100 Class

I was more curious of whether they would just pass through without much expansion, or explode like a ballistic tip. I have 150 grains I might try out too.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:12 PM
B&C 140 Class

dang good ammo,any other ammo is better than core lokts.if your worried about anything just neck shoot'em if less than 100yds