Would you do it? - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 09-29-2011, 08:11 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl.Luhr View Post
It has been a rare occurance that I have had a chance at a mature antlered Buck, I am not someone that gets tons of days in the field each year. I do remember some smart words that basically said if you want to shoot a big Buck don't shoot a little one. You have an interesting case were you have a large area with great food/water. Personally I would not have shot if I was seeing nicer racks on small bucks. I would have reasoned that there has to be some older big rack bucks around if that was what I was looking for. I always figure that I am not in it for just bringing home the meat, a day in the woods hunting is wonderful whether I pull the trigger or not. My family would have starved long ago if we had to live on my skills as a hunter/fisherman.

Karl
Karl, as always I appreciate your input. My question/quandry is admittedly an odd one. And, perhaps too personal for others to understand. If I might say, I would most certainly enjoy a day (or 10) afield with you because I've come to understand that you are truly a sportsman. I will simply hope that some day, our paths might cross and we might enjoy a hunt or even drink(?) together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2011, 10:25 AM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexj View Post
I don't think I would waste my tag on it, but I would invite a friend over for a "special" hunt. ;)
sounds like what id do.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:58 AM
B&C 180 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexj View Post
I don't think I would waste my tag on it, but I would invite a friend over for a "special" hunt. ;)

hahaha Good Idea!
Old 09-30-2011, 11:36 AM
B&C 140 Class

It's always good to have a couple hit men lined up. I have two guys I can call at anytime, and they are more than happy to come out and hunt my properties (for a specified deer). I used both of them last year for doe control, and plan on it again this year.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:01 PM
B&C 140 Class

Thumbs up

I agree with you guys, but no one else is permitted to deer hunt this land besides us (3). So, any future "culling" would/will have to be done by our hand. I'd also say, likely by my hand. Good thing is that pictures we've gotten this year, 11 months after seeing "Mr Odd" show very good promise with at least 3 different nice bucks "around". The picture of last year's cull (taken 1 yr ago yesterday) and this year's nice bucks were taken in exactly the same spot. That spot is close to a couple of our "permanent" ladder stands too.

This area is only about 1.5 miles across the Tn/Ky state line, but we are still, of course strapped by the 1 buck rule in Ky. Oh well....lol.

Thanks to all who gave their opinions!
Old 09-30-2011, 07:59 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default My 2 cents worth

Quote:
Originally Posted by turner View Post
I agree with you guys, but no one else is permitted to deer hunt this land besides us (3). So, any future "culling" would/will have to be done by our hand. I'd also say, likely by my hand. Good thing is that pictures we've gotten this year, 11 months after seeing "Mr Odd" show very good promise with at least 3 different nice bucks "around". The picture of last year's cull (taken 1 yr ago yesterday) and this year's nice bucks were taken in exactly the same spot. That spot is close to a couple of our "permanent" ladder stands too.

This area is only about 1.5 miles across the Tn/Ky state line, but we are still, of course strapped by the 1 buck rule in Ky. Oh well....lol.

Thanks to all who gave their opinions!
I would have done the same thing, mainly since you stated he was a mature and full bodied buck. That's my prime reason for hunting - putting them into the freezer. Oh yes, I'm not saying that I wouldn't like to wait for a "trophy" buck to come along, but when you get only one chance to put something in the freezer by all means take it.

Just my $.02 worth!

RR
Old 09-30-2011, 10:39 PM
B&C 100 Class

There wasn't a right or wrong decision. My philosophy is never look back, always forward. Don't beat yourself up.

To answer your question, I would have taken him. I couldn't care less about rack size. Not on a deer anyway.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:55 PM
B&C 100 Class

Turner,

You definitely have some good deer there this year! What part of KY do ya hunt if ya don't mind me asking (west, central, or east)? I grew up hunting in West TN and then did some work with Kentucky Fish and Wildlife this summer all over KY.

As far as your deer goes, if it was a 4.5 or 5.5 deer you probably did make a good decision to get rid of him. However KY and West/Middle TN (as you said) can have great food qualities and lead to bigger deer so that can throw off the body characteristics that you normally look for.

To better understand the deer in that area, start judging the teeth (you can find guides anywhere online) every time you kill a deer. Sayin that you saw this buck more than any other probably does mean he was one of the more dominant bucks in the area but to be moving that much he (IMHO) doesn't sound like a really mature big deer. You said you had seen him the year before? Was his rack the same? Also, how long had you been seeing him? If you had only noticed him for 2 years and had seen him a lot in that time, he probably was a younger deer just with a genectically bigger body.

No matter what you got a buck for that year. Judging by some of the other deer on your pics he probably was a poor quality deer. I have gotten so picky on my bucks that I haven't harvested one off my farm in 3-4 years. I watch em grow up to about 130 class deer at 3 1/2 but then they get smart and I catch only glimpses of them.