Are high caliber guns overkill? - Page 3 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 09-30-2011, 10:26 PM
Crawdaddy Crawdaddy is offline
B&C 100 Class
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Tijeras, NM
Posts: 189
Default

OP,

A few things are more important than cartridge or caliber.

Shot placement
Knowing your limitations
Knowing the limitations of the cartridge and gun

Bottom line, to each his own. My preference is a 300 WM with a load I develop for the animal I am hunting.

I have seen this question asked in many different forums and it always ended up in an argument. Not here. I like this place!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 09-30-2011, 10:46 PM
Hunting Man Hunting Man is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Oregon, Ohio
Posts: 7,569
Default

good post above, very seasoned response!
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 10-05-2011, 07:13 AM
TexasRem700 TexasRem700 is offline
B&C 100 Class
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Antonio Texas
Posts: 45
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
OP,

A few things are more important than cartridge or caliber.

Shot placement
Knowing your limitations
Knowing the limitations of the cartridge and gun

Bottom line, to each his own. My preference is a 300 WM with a load I develop for the animal I am hunting.

I have seen this question asked in many different forums and it always ended up in an argument. Not here. I like this place!
Very wise words. A good humain kill that does not destroy the meat is all you need. I personaly belive minimum for Deer is .243 I would be worried more about underkill than over kill. Personaly I have taken and droped deer at 200+ yards with my .270. I do however hand load all my ammo and pratice shots longer thatn 200yrs and shoot weekly.
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 10-06-2011, 07:10 PM
rdrader2002's Avatar
rdrader2002 rdrader2002 is offline
B&C 140 Class
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 824
Default

"I do however hand load all my ammo and pratice shots longer thatn 200yrs and shoot weekly."

TR700,
I'm jealous . . . about the weekly part. Wish I had the time and $$ to do that for most of the year. I will take the time before season starts to make sure I can hit the broad side of a barn (well, a little better than that, anyway<grin>).
Welcome to DHC from a "neighbor". I'm "just" up 281 from you, 'bout where 281 & 183 meet.

CD,
Better words couldn't have been spoken on the subject. Especially liked how you finished, "Not here. I like this place." No arguments from me on that one!

RR
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 10-06-2011, 08:04 PM
Crawdaddy Crawdaddy is offline
B&C 100 Class
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Tijeras, NM
Posts: 189
Default

Thank you.
I left one forum because of constant bickering.

I can't say Im your neighbor but going to the Texas pan handle in a few weeks to hunt deer. Claude to be exact.

I got lucky this year. Drew a ml deer tag in nm and joined a lease in Claude. I'm hoping for a good year. Have never harvested a mulie and it has been six years since I got my last deer. Other than the one I hut with my car.
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 10-06-2011, 09:02 PM
mw0248 mw0248 is offline
Scrub Buck
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: central arkansas
Posts: 3
Default

I have shot Elk, Mule deer, whitetail, antelope and pigs;
I shoot a .270, and a .243; I have a 30-06 BAR that I take to Alaska for back-up for bears when fishing (without scope); A 270 win will take ANY game in north america, and I have dropped Elk in their tracks with a 243 win, with 100 gr. hornady interlock; There is no need for these big magnums; It's all marketing;

Look at your ballistics tables for various rounds; a 270 will outshoot an '06
out to 100 yds, then BC and bullet weight take over;

when you are talking about energy in the 2,000 lb range, what difference does 40 lbs. make?

People with more money than time or sense always want the latest and best (and often not the best)

The only caliber I gave up is 22-250, after I dicovered the 24's will outshoot them in every catagory
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 10-06-2011, 09:15 PM
Hunting Man Hunting Man is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Oregon, Ohio
Posts: 7,569
Default

I think if someone showed up at an outfitter's camp with a 243 win for elk they probably would send you home. No disrespect here but 243 is a deer caliber cartridge, not reccomended for elk. I'm not a big mag guy either. I know all the arguments that they kill deer with 22's but it's not legal. For elk, 270 win would be the starting point and go up from there. One of things we try to do here is to steer hunters in the right direction for various situations so I'll just say please use something bigger than a 243 win for elk. We'll agree to disagree on this one I assume.
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 10-07-2011, 07:08 AM
BruceBruce1959's Avatar
BruceBruce1959 BruceBruce1959 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Vermont
Posts: 5,362
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting Man View Post
I think if someone showed up at an outfitter's camp with a 243 win for elk they probably would send you home. No disrespect here but 243 is a deer caliber cartridge, not reccomended for elk. I'm not a big mag guy either. I know all the arguments that they kill deer with 22's but it's not legal. For elk, 270 win would be the starting point and go up from there. One of things we try to do here is to steer hunters in the right direction for various situations so I'll just say please use something bigger than a 243 win for elk. We'll agree to disagree on this one I assume.
I agree with huntingman....
__________________
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
-Benjamin Franklin

Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 10-07-2011, 11:03 AM
Karl.Luhr Karl.Luhr is offline
B&C 140 Class
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 668
Default Elk are not small animals...

I have had the luck of hunting Elk twice and was successful on one occasion. I killed a smaller 4x4 with my 30-06. The bullet passed through a shoulder then the spine then exited. It was a Nosler Partition 180gr, I can only shutter to think I might have lost the animal with something less effective. If you could always get a lung shot broadside at <200 yards almost any Deer cartidge will work. The problem is that Elk don't make it easy for you and you have to take the shot that you get. I was below the animal and held for where I thought was the correct spot. The bullet's path was upward through the animal and it hit alot of bone. The Elk was dead instantly and that is what's important.

Karl
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 10-11-2011, 10:52 AM
TexasRem700 TexasRem700 is offline
B&C 100 Class
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Antonio Texas
Posts: 45
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrader2002 View Post
TR700,
I'm jealous . . . about the weekly part. Wish I had the time and $$ to do that for most of the year. I will take the time before season starts to make sure I can hit the broad side of a barn (well, a little better than that, anyway<grin>).
Welcome to DHC from a "neighbor". I'm "just" up 281 from you, 'bout where 281 & 183 meet.
I am just lucky to be off every other Friday so me and my work budies hit the range that day down at the BlackHawk range in SW San Antonio. Otherwise I go during the eavning right after work.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Top Posters
Hunting Man7569
buckfever5650
BruceBruce19595362
timberghost3886
joel the signman3608
tator3140
gfdeputy22747
delbert1489
Buckshot1219
hunt NH1203
Photos
Carolina Catfishin
Slickhead Stalker RN
Carolina Catfishin
Team DHC Articles


    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:46 PM.



    LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.0.0 RC8