Are high caliber guns overkill? - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 09-26-2011, 04:13 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Be careful about your choice of ammo in .308 Win

It sounded like from your email that you are new to Deer hunting. Your .308 Win is a great cartridge and is perfect for Deer. Two things that you have to be careful of.

1. The most important thing is to be sure to not use Military style FMJ (full metal jacket) loadings. These are sold everywhere for the .308 Win and are only good for target practice at the range and for pests like Coyotes.
Use non hollow point pointed soft point expanding bullet ammo.

2. Verify by checking your States DNR regs about magazine capacity limits for a semi-auto used in Deer hunting. Some States require a semi-auto only use 5 round magazines. There are places to look for the hunting magazines like gunbroker.com, cabellas, and gander mountain.

Karl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2011, 09:27 PM

Good post Karl! I still have to get the new/old pre 64win 88 to the range, in what caliber? 308 win. I have to admit this is the first 308 for me and in the old win 88 lever action should be a great PA combination. From what I've read the 165 gr bullets perform well in the 308?
Old 09-26-2011, 10:38 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default I also use the 165gr in everything .308 cal except Elk

I am jealous, I always wanted a Winchester M88 in .308 Win. If I can have all my wishes it would also be a carbine version with the 19inch barrel. I think that Winchester is using a 1 in 12 twist for that rifle and you should get good accuracy up to 180gr. That is as heavy as you would want to go anyway with it's case capacity. How is your trigger on your M88, I have handled a couple that were not the greatest. I admit to being a trigger snob.

Karl
Old 09-26-2011, 11:10 PM

will head to the range soon and see how things stack up. I've wanted a 88 for a long time and hopefully the wait was worth it. I've got to decide on what scope to put on it asap. It came with a leupold 1.75x5 that I took off and installed on the 870. I've got an old Redfield 2x7 that just may fit my needs for this rifle. Tomorrow is an off day so setting up a scope is on the bucket list of to do's.

Last edited by Hunting Man; 09-26-2011 at 11:16 PM.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:33 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl.Luhr View Post
Use non hollow point pointed soft point expanding bullet ammo.
There is one hollow point loading that I know of that is GREAT for deer. Winchester Power Max Bonded.

Winchester Super-X Power Max Bonded Ammunition 308 Winchester 150 Grain Protected Hollow Point Box of 20 - MidwayUSA
Old 09-27-2011, 12:15 AM
B&C 140 Class

"something that doesn't knock a softball sized hole through it either."

I have a Mosin-Nagant in 7.62x54R (only fractionally larger than a .308)(.308 = 7.62x51) and use a bronze tipped round when hunting. I will admit to rushing the shot when the 8 pt buck stopped for just a moment from chasing the doe he was after, but that moment's pause was all I needed. It may not have been a softball sized hole, but I could have easily put my fist in the exit wound. I put the round directly into the right front shoulder, instead of slightly above and behind . The bronze tipped round drove through both shoulders leaving the left front leg barely attached by the time I finally found the buck.

Oh, the range? My hunting spot is a deer crossroads and I have several paths that criss cross my property. The "spot" is about 95 - 100 yards away, but the path these two were on was only about 50 yards away. So the buck was maybe 55 yards away at most when I pulled the trigger.

So just what is "too much rifle"? For the distance, I probably could have used a bow and arrow and it might have been too much. But you just never know when and where the crazy critters are going to show up. "Too much rifle" will always be subject to discussion and a personal preference.

I for one will not stick my nose into what other hunters use, because that's one of the joys we have here in the states, the ability to choose.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:33 AM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting Man View Post
will head to the range soon and see how things stack up. I've wanted a 88 for a long time and hopefully the wait was worth it. I've got to decide on what scope to put on it asap. It came with a leupold 1.75x5 that I took off and installed on the 870. I've got an old Redfield 2x7 that just may fit my needs for this rifle. Tomorrow is an off day so setting up a scope is on the bucket list of to do's.
Good luck at the range & that scope sounds like a perfect companion to me. My M88/.308 wears an M8 4X Leupold now and it shoots 165gr Hornady Interbonds very well. The load is from HSM (Hunting Shack.com) and is rated at around 2650 FPS. Not a screamer, but about the most accurate load I've used in that rifle @ 1 1/4".

You're gonna love that rifle!!
Old 09-27-2011, 04:33 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Not all hollow points are the same...

I understand after looking at the link you had for the Winchester ammo that their's is a hunting bullet but most hollow point ammo I have seen in .308 Win has been target ammo. Those hollow point bullets do not belong in your rifle during hunting season and that is what I was warning him about. In many ways my Nosler Ballistic Tips that I like are hollow point bullets with the plastic tip added. The main difference is that the jacket is designed for expansion in a Deer. Some warn that my Ballistic Tips expand to fast on Deer, I have not seen it personally but would not recommend it for Elk. You magnum shooters should probibly always stay with controlled expansion bullets just because the velocities you are getting wreck havok with standard constructed bullets.

Karl
Old 09-28-2011, 10:50 AM
Scrub Buck

I personally use a 308. It by far my favorite to hunt whitetails with. I also have a 25-06 that I am quite find of. Both guns will drop deer in there tracks and as far as damage goes it depends on what type of bullett you use more than caliber.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:39 AM
B&C 100 Class

My Dad has dropped lots of big deer, well big for our area = anything over 225lbs using a .243. He has a .270 but swears by the smaller rifle. But hes always dead on usually he blows the heart of out everything so with that kind of accuracy a .22 would probably work lol.