Been a while - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 08-23-2011, 02:47 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Been a while

I took the morning off (cool again!) and went shooting for the third time in two weeks. I took 4 rifles, a 1969 BAR in '06, a custom M98 in .308, a Ruger Hawkeye in .338 Fed and a BLR in .450 Marlin. I enjoyed the morning and got everything done I wanted to. Sighted the BAR & M77 in with new ammo and both did well. The .450 was being checked prior to leaving in a couple weeks on a hunt. It's a very accurate rifle.

It has been a while since I'd shot that BAR and I'd forgotten just how much I liked those rifles. I've owned several over the years and never had a one that ever jammed, not once ever. I decided the other night that I was going to use it this season and I'm glad I did.

Anyone else out there a fan of the Browning BAR?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2011, 03:35 PM

Turner I love Browning products but have never owned a BAR. PA doesn't allow a semi so I never had a use for one. I think Browning has some of the best products out there for the money.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:51 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Browning BARs winter woes....

We have a shop here in MN, Alman's in Morristown MN that recommend the BAR winter mod. They go in and open up some clearances that are left very tight by the factory. Alman's is a factory repair center for basically all the major brands. They have had through the years alot of BARs that people bring in that jammed while Deer hunting in cold weather. After the winter mod supposely the rifles never act up again in the worst of the cold.

Karl
Old 08-23-2011, 07:10 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl.Luhr View Post
We have a shop here in MN, Alman's in Morristown MN that recommend the BAR winter mod. They go in and open up some clearances that are left very tight by the factory. Alman's is a factory repair center for basically all the major brands. They have had through the years alot of BARs that people bring in that jammed while Deer hunting in cold weather. After the winter mod supposely the rifles never act up again in the worst of the cold.

Karl
Something very interesting to note, thanks Karl. We are normally maxed out in the low range at about 10* during hunting season (for deer) here. But it is nice to know that there could be a problem that might show itself, right about the time my toes freeze...lol!!
Old 08-23-2011, 07:46 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Hunting is an addiction, or we are just crazy up here..

I have to say that at times I have wondered what I am doing up here hunting/freezing in the most uncomfortable ways. I wish only my toes would have gotten cold. One year the HIGH was 7 followed by days with highs of 6 and 5. The lows each of those years were well below zero at the break of the day. I found out when I moved up here in 84 that snow squeaks when you walk on it at below zero temps. That year hunting we made a lot of squeaking sounds moving into position each morning. I had to remind myself that I was enjoying myself and I was actually using vacation for the fun of it. My rifles have never let me down due to the low temps we experience. My single shot and bolt actions always were ready for the shot and my scopes (leopold, zeiss, and nikon) have never let me down.

Karl
Old 08-24-2011, 06:07 AM

Nothing worse than cedar swamp bowhunting late season. In Michigan's UP we would see -* temps all day. Never have been more cold than swamp hunting when it's 20 below and windy.