A little range time - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 08-12-2011, 12:13 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default A little range time

I took adavantage of some cooler morning weather this morning and made a trip to a nearby range to check zero on a couple of rifles. I'm most concerned with an upcoming Bear-over-bait hunt coming up, so I only shot at 50 yards today. First up was my M70 FW in '06 that I wanted to sight in with a new 184gr load by RWS I just found on sale at Midway. I shot two shots to confirm where it was hitting, made an adjustment and the next two shots were touching. Another adjustment was needed and the 2nd group was about 3/4". Looks like the rifle likes that new load well enough.

Wanted to check my 750 Carbine in .35 Whelen and it's 250gr Rem factory load, so I fired two from it. It was a tad off to the left so an adjustment was made and another group showed it's ready for the hunt. The last rifle today was my new 1895M/.450 Marlin, which was finally going to get fired for the first time. 1 shot to get on paper and a very large adjustment needed up, but darn near perfect windage-wise. A couple more groups and I've got the 350gr FN printing about 1" high at 50 yards, right where I want it. That 350gr feels something like this: LOL!

At least one more trip for the Marlin, I think, just to get used to the trigger, which is pretty darn good for a Marlin lever rifle. I enjoyed the morning, but it did heat up awfully quick and I was sweating pretty good by the time I packed up to leave.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2011, 07:01 AM
B&C 140 Class

Default Funny that is how I would pick to shoot them too..

It is no secret that I love Win 70 Featherweights in 30-06, I had one until my son claimed mine. The Rem 750 carbine in 35Wh has to handle nice, but the trigger might be a little stiff how is the one on your rifle? Do you have a scope on the Rem 750 carbine? If so which one? The Marlin guide gun kicks like a mule, enough said. I have shot a Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70 and it wasn't any fun, I would compare it to shooting slugs through a 12ga. It had to feel good shooting nice groups through your rifles. Just ask someone you don't like much to shoot that 450 Marlin of yours for you.

Karl
Old 08-13-2011, 02:05 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl.Luhr View Post
It is no secret that I love Win 70 Featherweights in 30-06, I had one until my son claimed mine. The Rem 750 carbine in 35Wh has to handle nice, but the trigger might be a little stiff how is the one on your rifle? Do you have a scope on the Rem 750 carbine? If so which one? The Marlin guide gun kicks like a mule, enough said. I have shot a Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70 and it wasn't any fun, I would compare it to shooting slugs through a 12ga. It had to feel good shooting nice groups through your rifles. Just ask someone you don't like much to shoot that 450 Marlin of yours for you.

Karl
Hey Karl, The 750 Carbine is a nice handling rifle. The trigger on mine is not half bad, actually. Not exactly Timney quality, but I don't feel it affects the accuracy all that much either. I scoped the 750 with one of the newer Nikon Monarch African series scopes. It's a 1" tube 1-4x20 and has a #4 type reticle. It's a really nice scope, IMHO.

I've got a Marlin 1895/45-70 and a BLR/.450 too, but this "shorty" seems to recoil more than either of those. It might just be that I wasn't used to the added muzzle blast from the short barrel too, I guess. It sure is a darned handy rifle to carry though. It will go with me next month.

Ed

Here's the scoped 750:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-017F.jpg (72.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg user656_pic1234_1312221567.jpg (38.6 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by turner; 08-13-2011 at 02:08 PM.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:30 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Brillant minds think alike...

I sure like the way you have the Remington 750 set up. I have a Sako Bolt Action 30-06 battue with a 18.5 inch barrel with the factory McMillion Fiberglass stock. The Sako is hard to find a scope for with enough ring spacing I bought the same Nikon African 1x4 for it. I also really like the reticle. Do you think the Rem 750 (35 Wh) with the short barrel is more efficent than it would be in 30-06 with the same 18.5 inch barrel?

Karl
Old 08-13-2011, 04:18 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl.Luhr View Post
I sure like the way you have the Remington 750 set up. I have a Sako Bolt Action 30-06 battue with a 18.5 inch barrel with the factory McMillion Fiberglass stock. The Sako is hard to find a scope for with enough ring spacing I bought the same Nikon African 1x4 for it. I also really like the reticle. Do you think the Rem 750 (35 Wh) with the short barrel is more efficent than it would be in 30-06 with the same 18.5 inch barrel?

Karl
Karl, I'd say they would both lose about 125-150 FPS due to the 5.5" loss of length over the 24" length they normally use for published data. That being said, I'm a huge fan of the .35 family and think the Whelen is still the way to go, without a doubt. I am wanting to buy and try some of the new Hornady Superformance 200gr .35 Whelen loads. At their claimed velocity (2900), the Carbine should still show better velocity out of it's short barrel as the Remington factory 200gr load (2675 FPS) out of a 24" tube. I really like that idea!

And congrats on that nice rifle/scope combo you've put together too!!