Tips on how to learn to shoot left handed. - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 06-27-2011, 11:39 AM
B&C 100 Class

Default Tips on how to learn to shoot left handed.

I recently broke my right arm and they told me I would be in a cast for up to 3 months, and I don't want to just sit around and not shoot, so have any of you right handed guys ever learned to shoot left handed? My brother has a left handed savage that has a bipod on it and it seems like with some practice I could figure it out, but any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2011, 03:36 PM
B&C 140 Class

I shoot left handed naturally. I dont see how anyone could shoot right handed.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:37 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Sorry you got hurt...

It is possible to put tape over your master eye on your shooting glasses and sight with your left eye. It is going to be strange to say the least. If you arm is stuck in a right angle cast does your trigger finger extend far enough out to still operate a trigger? I had a broken hand in a lower arm cast and still went bird hunting with my over and under. I just couldn't obtain my standard grip. The butt stock also took some wear and tear on the checkering even after I wrapped my cast in a sock. You might find that using a bi-pod to support the forearm and using you left hand to stabilize the butt stock that you can still shoot right handed.

Karl
Old 06-27-2011, 11:06 PM
B&C 100 Class

Yah the cast is a 90 but I can't move my trigger finger enough to pull the trigger with out having to move my whole arm back. I can hold on to the fore end with it if I use my left hand to pull the trigger. I have been shooting a pellet gun to try and get used to it, and its helping. The hardest part I'm having is cycling the bolt with my right hand. My brother has a left hand bolt 17hmr that has a bipod so I'm gonna try that but I know what you mean about the cast tearing up the stock, so I'm thinking like you said with a bipod I won't really have to use my right hand too much. I appreciate the help.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:50 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default The "Only" way!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisconsinDeer View Post
I shoot left handed naturally. I dont see how anyone could shoot right handed.
I'll second that opinion!! Just "grew up" that way!

Found out that I'm left eye dominant, but do everything else right handed, even hold a pistol in my right hand. But bring the pistol over in front of my left eye to shoot.

Sorry I can't be much help except to say get out there and shoot. The basics of shooting are the same - lefty or righty.

RR
Old 06-28-2011, 08:00 PM
B&C 140 Class

Tricky,
I bowled with a guy that was right handed , half way thru the season he tore his right shoulder up, ended up having to learn to bowl left handed. He ended the season with a 152 average left handed which leads me to believe you could learn to shoot lefty. Its funny you mentioned this because I'm going to learn to shoot lefty up to fifty yards. It never fails the biggest buck is over my right shoulder and I move around trying to get into shooting position and more often than not I scare it away. So far nothing huge but it would only take one screw up trying to get into shooting position for a big deer.
daddus
Old 06-28-2011, 11:56 PM
B&C 100 Class

I shot for about 3 hours today with my 270 and with a bag I was doing a lot better. I found if I leave both eyes open I can shoot a good group. I think I will be a lot better by the end of the week. I hope I can keep what I'm learning and still be able to shoot lefty in the future. It might come in handy while hunting. I appreciate all the help and I feel if I can shoot lefty anyone could lol.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:36 AM
B&C 140 Class

You'll do a lot better than you give yourself credit for. How do I know that? I personally know a guy just like him! lol
Old 06-29-2011, 09:45 PM
B&C 100 Class

Well I am getting pretty good at this now. Thanks Daddus. I seem to shoot more accurate at long range left handed. I wonder if I was was supposed to be a lefty lol.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:25 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
Well I am getting pretty good at this now. Thanks Daddus. I seem to shoot more accurate at long range left handed. I wonder if I was was supposed to be a lefty lol.
Try taking the test to determine your dominant eye.

Determining your Dominant Eye

Who knows, you might find out you've been shooting "wrong handed" for years. Seems like I should have been a lefty in everything, since I brought a rifle up left-handed the very first time I picked one up. But I was "taught" in school to be right handed in everything. Anybody remember the saying "Left is Red" from the McCarthy era?? Or did I just date myself again??