New hunter needs some advice - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 06-17-2011, 11:52 PM
B&C 140 Class

I put a $100 Bushnell Trophy 3-9x40 on my dads 30-06 last year. Its a very nice scope for the money. Large field of view, clear, and good light transmission. I think I'm going to get one for my Knight KP1 .223 and my Mosin Nagant sporter I like it so much.

The only Leupold I have is a $250 2-7x33 UltimateSlam which I have on my Ruger 77/44. Its an impressive little scope and I'm very happy with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2011, 12:32 AM

I've always been a fan of leupold and Redfield scopes. The newer Redfield scopes went downhill in quality but I think I read somewhere that Leupold may have bought them?? I'm sure the old quality will come back if that's the case. I think I have 3 1970's Redfield scopes, 3 Weatherby Supremes made by???, couple of Leupolds, Pentax, Tasco, no Bushnell's, Nikon's yet. Burris is another quality scope. Only have had one failure and that was a Tasco on the TC FireHwak after 11 years or so on a $70.00 scope. I can't complain too much.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:14 PM
B&C 140 Class

Leupold bought the Redfield name a few years ago. I've read from many people that the Redfield scopes are better than low end Leupolds.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:44 PM

I put the Leupold rifleman on my TC triumph, I hope it holds up to the 50 cal. I wouldn't know how to rate the new Redfields against the lower end Leupolds, maybe others have a good field report.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:33 PM

I have had great luck w/ the cheaper Simmons I think I paid under $100 for it like 15 Years ago that was on my .270 since the day I bought it
It finally broke on me last year & had been through a lot of torture over the years. I will agree with HM on this
If it works don't fix it
I feel if the scope is working properly then practice is more important

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright
Old 06-18-2011, 10:11 PM
B&C 140 Class

If it ain't broke - don't fix it!

Try taking current combination out to a range that has a 150 - 200 yard target (hard to find!) and see how well the rifle/scope do. If you can't find one of those 'distance' target ranges, then the advice of everyone else will do just fine - 1" groups at 100 yds and you'll have no problems with further distances.

But then again - I'm cheap and can't see spending $$ if you don't have to. My $0.02 worth.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:48 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Everyone else has thrown in their 2 cents, here's mine

The bundled scopes in packages are garbage. I was being nice calling them that. I always tell anyone that I am helping buy a rifle that you need to spend 200-250 for a decent scope. Can you go all over the world with that 25-50 dollar scope and hunt- yes you could. Would anyone recommend that you trust that cheap scope -no. It worked and you got a nice Deer be happy that it got you through your first season, it's upgrade time. I also recommend the Nikon or Redfield in your 200-250 price range. Are there better scopes for more say 400-2500 dollars- yes. Would you get a scope 10x better then the 200 dollar one- no. The absolute top of the line are clearer and are more precise but the 200-250 will get you atleast 90% of the way there and will br a lot less out of your checking account. One note on reticles, the crosshairs you see looking at through the scope. I know that Nikon are really pushing their BDC reticle. I love my Nikon scopes and recommend the brand but I would stay with a standard plex reticle unless you are going to be doing a lot of 200, 300, or 400 yard shooting. Your 270 is a great caliber and if you sight it in a couple of inches high at 100 yards just aim for the lungs just behind the front leg. On any shot up to say 300 yards your 270 will drop them right in. It always suprises me how many shooters don't understand that the scope on a rifle is just as important as the rifle it is mounted on. The quality of the trigger on the rifle is also important but that is for another post....

Karl
Old 06-20-2011, 10:23 PM
B&C 140 Class

^ Couldn't agree more.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:58 AM

Go on E-bay and watch for good deals on a scope. You can find pretty good prices on used Leupold vx ll in your price range easy. It's a lot of scope for the money. Still hard to beat a 3x9x40 for the 270 win cal.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:11 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default HuntingMan makes a great point with his post

You have the option of buying used online and saving a lot. I would probibly try to get a Leopold VXIII 2.5x8 for a great price if I bought used. This is a 400.00 dollar scope and I wouldn't be surprised to see it go for 250.xx. Something to remember about all Leopolds is there lifetime warrantee. It is no charge whoever owns it not just the original person that bought it. So if you later find that there was a problem with it you call them and they give you the instructions to send it back. If they can't fix it easily they just send out a new scope of the same model no charge. I own two of the VXIII scopes and have not ever had a problem with them. I expect the scopes to last a lifetime.

Karl