first time rifle owner - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 05-24-2011, 07:08 AM
Scrub Buck

Default first time rifle owner

Hi - Just made my first rifle purchase, Remington 700 270 WSM, bought it used with a Nikon Prostaff scope. It's a great looking gun! Now I'm anxious to learn how to shoot it! I've always wanted to get into deer hunting too! Any advice for a "city" boy in upstate NY? Thanks!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2011, 12:34 PM

Gun courses are a great way to start. Locate a public range to shoot at, pick up a couple of boxes of 130 & 140 GR bullets in a couple of different makes, Rem, Win, Federal, ect. Take you time at the range, with the target at 25yds away and see where your new gun prints using the lowest power on the scope. Make necessary adjustments to move the bullet point of impact to 12 position and 2" high. Move the target out to 100 yds and repeat your shots and scope adjustment until your are 1" high 12 position. Your rifle will tell you which bullet and weight it likes best by the smallest group fired. I like to fire 2 shot groups while zeroing in the rifle then a 3 shot group as a final group. Congrats on the first!
Old 05-24-2011, 01:03 PM
B&C 140 Class

Ditto with above Pretty much all states require a safety class prior to getting a hunting license and perhaps you might also meet someone there willing to mentor you a bit in additional safety tips and initial hunting tips as well. Welcome to the "brotherhood" (yes, females are also always welcome...lol) and I hope you enjoy your new journey into seeing nature up close and how to interact as an ethical hunter.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:38 PM
Scrub Buck

Thanks very much for the advice and encouragement! I'm new to this and don't have anyone I know who hunts or owns a firearm. My friends at work and family would all be "shocked" that I even bought a rifle and want to learn to deer hunt! I'm older guy, 58, so I hope I can learn!!! Thanks again, you're all GREAT! - Kevin
Old 05-24-2011, 06:00 PM
B&C 140 Class

woody
Welcome to the site. The advice you have been given by these guys is great all I ask is that you make safety priority #1
good huntin,
daddus
north central PA
Old 05-24-2011, 06:07 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Welcome to DHC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody1940 View Post
Thanks very much for the advice and encouragement! I'm new to this and don't have anyone I know who hunts or owns a firearm. My friends at work and family would all be "shocked" that I even bought a rifle and want to learn to deer hunt! I'm older guy, 58, so I hope I can learn!!! Thanks again, you're all GREAT! - Kevin
You're never to old to learn!! And you happened to pick a great sport to learn, too!!! Can't give any better advice than what's already been said. Seems as if someone took the words right out of my mouth . . . or from my keyboard.

I don't have a .270 WSM, but have 2 in .270 Winchester. You've made a great purchase and hope that you have many years of successful deer hunting.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:29 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Owning rifles is like eating potato chips

Welcome to a great sport that isn't as frustrating as golf. You can enjoy it for the rest of your life, and meet some interesting people along the way.

Five suggestions I would make early on,
1. Be very careful what ammunition you buy for your rifle. Sales clerks in a retail department store worked yesterday in shoes or sterios and are not expected to know anything about rifles and what is the correct ammo for your rifle.
2. Get a set of small foam ear plugs and a set of large shooting hearing protection muffs and wear them both at the same time. The large bang on firing is one of the reasons some new shooters flinch or jerk the trigger on firing.
3. Get either shooting glasses or plan on wearing your sunglasses whenever you are at the range shooting. Your eyes are not replaceable.
4. Don't hesitate to ask fellow shooters on the line a question, or for a suggestion if you are having a problem with anything while you are shooting.
5. Have fun while you are shooting, when you get frustrated or it is starting to become not fun it's time to stop and go to Dairy Queen for a milk shake....

Karl
Old 05-24-2011, 07:18 PM

If you start thinking about the next shot and that it's going to hurt, stop and go back another day. Your accuracy will never be good enough until the recoil never enters your mind.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:32 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default If your budget can afford it???

One thought that I just considered.. If you have the cash you may want to consider buying a used scoped 22 rifle. Being new to shooting there are a lot of little things that you are going to have to master. None are tough but they each need to become second nature. I think I stink at golf, others that are kind just point out that I should take my clubs out of the basement more than once every 10 years. Shooting is like that, you need to get trigger time and burn some powder. Your caliber is a great one, lots of top performance and it will work for anything on this continent. Now the bad side, 270WSM ammo is expensive. I reload my rifle ammo but I am guessing that you are going to be looking at $30.00 a box(20 rounds). Compare that to say $2.00 a box(50 rounds) for 22LR and the savings will add up very fast. Shooting a 22 will teach you I think 95% of what you need to learn. If you can shoot the center out of a target at 50 yards with a 22, doing the same with a 270WSM at 100 yards will not be a big reach. Same mechanics, just more noise and some recoil saying hello at each shot.

Karl
Old 05-24-2011, 10:46 PM

a lot of us grew up with bb, pellet, and 22 cal rifles and simply went up the ladder from here. Really good training for later on.