first time rifle owner - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 05-25-2011, 04:47 PM

Karl, I looked at 325wsm ammo on line and I won't be burning up much ammo after sighting the thing in. I'm seeing 50.00 a box and whew hopefully it sights in easy. Not real sure of when I'll see it as son is moving to Ill, in 3 weeks and may have to make a special trip back to SE Ohio to Dick's to pick it up then wait for son to come home 4th of July weekend to deliver it. By then I should have a scope and ammo waiting. Been thinking what make/model/power scope to put on the 325 have mixed feelings right now so plenty of time to sort things out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2011, 05:36 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Reloading never looked so good....

I know that we live in a time where it is easier to pay extra for things to be done for us, but the price of ammo is getting insane. I don't know if it is extra taxes or the ammo companies making a larger Corporate profit. The thought of anyone learning to shoot today with the basic calibers costing around 25.00 per box of 20 rounds is nuts. I was crying the last time I bought a 8 pound keg of powder H414. The shop was discounting it for about 110.xx. There are 7000 gr to a pound, I use around 52 gr per each round of 30-06. The math says I will be crying again in about 1076 rounds. Yes bullets are expensive the Nosler 165gr BTs I like have gone from 13.50 to around 19.00 per 50. Primers are also up but I haven't used up the current stash of 5000 I bought a couple of years ago. What I am saying badly is those of us that aren't reloading yet need to start asap. It is fun and not difficult if I figured it out. Just remember it is easy to reload modern ammo, it is very hard to handload precision ammo taylored to each firearm.

Karl
Old 05-25-2011, 07:16 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting Man View Post
Karl, I looked at 325wsm ammo on line and I won't be burning up much ammo after sighting the thing in. I'm seeing 50.00 a box and whew hopefully it sights in easy. Not real sure of when I'll see it as son is moving to Ill, in 3 weeks and may have to make a special trip back to SE Ohio to Dick's to pick it up then wait for son to come home 4th of July weekend to deliver it. By then I should have a scope and ammo waiting. Been thinking what make/model/power scope to put on the 325 have mixed feelings right now so plenty of time to sort things out.
My BLR/.325 wears a 2-7x33 30mm scope, made by Leupold. For ammo used to sight in and also, perhaps, for deer hunting, look at this stuff....

325 WSM 150 gr SP (20 rounds) - Wisconsin Cartridge LLC.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:24 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Wis cart co

That does look like it would be a way to save alot in buying factory ammo. The one I looked at was 30-06 150gr for I think it said 15.95. That is about 10.00 per box cheaper than I saw it online at the other destributors. i still think you can save money reloading but you need to have a supply of brass. So you either have to buy factory and shoot it up or buy empty cases then start loading.

Karl
Old 06-27-2011, 07:54 AM
Scrub Buck

If you would like to get better at shooting your 270wsm but at 25 cents a shot and no recoil look into getting a .17 hmr. You could spray 22lr ammo at a target all day but how will that help?