Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   Rifle Hunting (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/rifle-hunting/)
-   -   heres another question what would be the most afective dear huting rifle (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/rifle-hunting/772-heres-another-question-what-would-most-afective-dear-huting-rifle.html)

MICHAEL 10-13-2007 10:57 PM

heres another question what would be the most afective dear huting rifle

:wacko:i have no idea what would be the most affective deer hunting rifle for a 12 year old boy i have a whole farm with wide open spaces i can shoot on and has hardly any trees and a huge forest on the back of that and all the deer come out in to the paddocks to eat the grass (which makes the owner of the farm so angry:mad:) so he lets we shoot all the deer i want.

buckfever 10-14-2007 08:36 AM

like bruce said in another one of your threads if your going to be shooting in wide open spaces i would definitly look at the .270. you can get some distance out of those and it is a good flat shooting gun.

critter gitter 10-14-2007 02:06 PM

I like the .308win.

cartersdad 10-14-2007 07:26 PM

i use a savage 7mm mag

10 point 10-14-2007 09:27 PM

You will need shoulder replacement for it is over.Just kiddin. My dad has one and i hate it. A 243 is the best flat shooting gun for hunting fields but you do not want any part of it in the woods.

rockman57 10-20-2007 02:09 AM

I would be thinkin just the opposite.I use my daughters 243 in the woods all the time but if I was hunting the open spaces I'd choose the wife's flatter shooting and harder hitting 270.

critter gitter 10-20-2007 07:23 AM

I use the 7mm but for a young hunter that might not be the best choice. When I started hunting at age 12 I used my Dads .308 He had two of them, one for him and one for me.

DKA 10-20-2007 09:25 PM

Don't think that it matters whether it's a 308, 7MM Mag, 270, 30-06 or any others. What really makes the difference is being a goo d marksman with whatever kind of rifle that you shoot. Shot placement is critical to keeping that big buck there. Practice and remember to Squeeze The Trigger.

Deerhunter022 10-24-2007 12:39 PM

huh?

I would be thinkin just the opposite.I use my daughters 243 in the woods all the time but if I was hunting the open spaces I'd choose the wife's flatter shooting and harder hitting 270.

Holdddd on, your wife and your daughter have deer rifles that you use, but you dont mention owning one yourself... i hope this isnt implying that you dont own a deer rifle!
nah, im sure you do, im just messing with ya, but about the question.. any of the choices mentioned would work. Your going to put so much time into thinking about this when it all amouts to the split second in which the bullet hits the deer. As long as when the bullet hits the deer, it doesnt matter which of these calibers you choose.. personally i would go with one that you know will remain popular and ammo stays abundent. The 308. seems to fit this bill

buckfever 10-24-2007 09:10 PM

deerhunter22 i think you got michael confused with rockman. rockman owns plenty of guns. michael is the one searching for guns. he is about 12 yrs old so i dont think he has a wife yet. though he does live in new zealand. maybe they marry younger than us