Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   Rifle Hunting (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/rifle-hunting/)
-   -   I Am New To Hunting And I Need Help To Selecting My Rifle (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/rifle-hunting/765-i-am-new-hunting-i-need-help-selecting-my-rifle.html)

MICHAEL 10-13-2007 04:30 AM

I Am New To Hunting And I Need Help To Selecting My Rifle

Hi i am new to hunting and i need some advice on selecting my rifle i have a choice between a .308,.223,.243,.270 and a 30/30 what would be the best for me i want these for deer hunting i have fired a .308 at a target before and that alnost blew me over i am 12 and i have been duck shooting with a semi 12ga shot gun and that was cool so yeah got any advice thanx

buckfever 10-13-2007 07:43 AM

depends on how far you think your shots are going to be. for most youngsters i like the .243 or maybe even a 30-30. you said a 308 about knocked your arm off. about how long has it been since you shot the 308? because if you grew a little since then maybe it want bother you much anymore. if you handled the 12 guage good i bet you could get used to any of those guns you listed. if your scared of the kick at all in whatever gun you shoot dont feel bad if you need to step down in gun size. a .243 can drop any deer out there.

AJHunter 10-13-2007 08:12 AM

I agree with Buck on this one my friend, my suggestion is to go to a gun dealer and ask if you can try out all the guns first before you buy. Then you can make your decision on the performance of the weapon, as well as how comfortable that you feel, after shooting it.

Start with the smaller caliber rifles first.

AJHunter

BruceBruce1959 10-13-2007 10:22 AM

MICHAEL
The choice should also depend on the conditions of the land where you plan to hunt most often.. like if you plan on hunting in heavy brush or thick woodlands then a .30-30 is probably the best choice BUT if you're going to be hunting in an area where you may have to make a 200 or 300 yard shot across an open meadow then you'd probably want to opt for the .270
AJHUNTER gave you real good advice to try and check with you local weapons dealer and see if they can let you try out a few calibers first....

if you have more questions or want more advice don't hesitate to ask away..

good luck....

MICHAEL 10-13-2007 10:44 PM

Thanx for the help i will go to the hunting store when i can because there are none in my town and by the way i was 11 when i fired the .308 and i just fired the 12 gauge i couple of months ago so i will ask my mate if i can have another shot on his 308 so once again thanx if u have any other advice it would be much apreciated thanx

sweet_land04 10-13-2007 11:52 PM

Hi Michael: I agree with the prior comments. I've shot all the rifles you mentioned including the 30-06, which is one of the most versatile of all calibers due to the extreme range of bullet weights available.
I finally got tired of beating up my shoulder at the beginning of each season sighting in on the 200 and 300 yard targets.
I primarily use a 22-250, now. However, you have to have more open ground for shooting (it is not a brush gun) and a heart/neck shot is required if you do not want to injure your animal and/or spend a lot of time trying to track him/her down.
The 22-250 is very high velocity and it has very little drop over 200-250 yards. With a little practice you can drive tacks with it...and it loves my shoulder. Good luck and let us know what you decide on.

peckspond 10-14-2007 09:03 AM

I like the 243, but suggest you use a 100 gr bullet. I you are hunting in heavier cover, go with the 30-30.

AJHunter 10-14-2007 09:17 AM

A 22 hornet would also make you a good starting rifle, but go with the biggest caliber that you can fire, and handle the recoil.

I twice had a 30-06, and they are great rifles, but after shooting a box of shells through them, when target practicing, the old shoulder takes a beating.

AJHunter

timberghost 10-20-2007 08:58 AM

Looking at your choices I think that the 223 and 270 are good for the lesser recoil and they are quite accurate as well. I would put my money on the 270 because the bullet is fairly lighter than most and that type of rifle has a flatter trajectory for better shots. Good Luck to you.

Deerhunter022 10-24-2007 12:17 PM

new deer rifle

Im going to have to say that the 30-30 is the best rifle for new hunters. A marlin 336a gets you a great gun with a fairly low cost and will hit and anything that should be shot at by a 12 year old. Keep your shots under 150 yards and that deer is just as dead as any deer has ever been. ;)