hog hunting? - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 06-20-2011, 06:17 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Is there a difference? Boar/Hog

I don't doubt that I am wrong considering they have two seasons but what is different between a wild Boar and a wild Pig/Hog? Is it easy to tell one from the other while you are trying to shoot them? I always read that it is fast and furious when you get close.

Karl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2011, 06:26 PM
B&C 140 Class

two seasons? wild boar and wild hogs means the same down here. actually a boar would be the Male of the species. we make fun of the yankees that come down and want to go "wild boar" hunting. lol. i believe florida just calls em feral hogs.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:36 PM
B&C 140 Class

Well, all I can tell you is that Tennessee uses the two different "names" and also different seasons for the same general species. Most of Tennessee is now open 365 days a year (newly opened) for the hunting of Feral Hogs. The state has maintained a different name and season for some pockets of wild hogs "Boars" for many years, causing problems with the state's hunters. Read for yourself.

Catoosa is one of the WMAs that held seperate definitions and seasons for wild hogs, calling them wild boars because they had decended from the original European stock imported into N.C & Tn in the early 1900s:

Wild Boar Problems - Topix

SEO - Catoosa WMA Boar Hunting Season Summary

SEO - Tennessee Trying To Outlaw Wild Boar Hunting

Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency - Feral Hog/Wild Boar

See 2nd paragraph here:
Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency

Last edited by turner; 06-27-2011 at 03:41 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:26 PM
B&C 140 Class

How do they expect anybody to tell the differance? Do a DNA test before you shoot it. A pig is a pig,there aint any feral hog with a pure blood line,thats why you will see black,brown,red,spotted hogs.Some say the black ones or pure but you can take a black breeding pair and get colored pigs from them.There blood line is all mixed up.there aint no true anything in feral hogs
Old 06-28-2011, 01:37 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbilly View Post
How do they expect anybody to tell the differance? Do a DNA test before you shoot it. A pig is a pig,there aint any feral hog with a pure blood line,thats why you will see black,brown,red,spotted hogs.Some say the black ones or pure but you can take a black breeding pair and get colored pigs from them.There blood line is all mixed up.there aint no true anything in feral hogs
What they are doing is even dumber, IMO. They are simply using specific areas to differentiate between the two. It was actually posted, prior to the changes two months ago, in a very distinctly different manner, showing both terms in the hunting regs and explaining that if you shot a pig in one of a couple WMAs in eastern Tn it was called a Wild Boar and they had special seasons for them there, normally coinciding with deer seasons.

They have begun to wise up some now and seem to be getting very concerned with the spread of hogs throughout the state.