Rifle Cleaning - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 11-15-2010, 05:14 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default Rifle Cleaning

I have 2 rifles that have just recently been shot for the first time. a 7 mag that has been shot 30 times and a 30.06 that has been shot 40 times. Both are Brand new and will not be shot again until season opens (Hopefully opening Day) Should I clean them now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2010, 06:04 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Clean after each use if possible, definitly if it is stored

The rule of thumb is always clean it well if you are putting it away for months. I like to clean between range sessions but that isn't totally needed if you are shooting again a few days later. It is important to wipe off the exterior with a silicon rag to protect the finish from the oils and acids in your skin. This should be done whenever the rifle is handled.

Karl
Old 11-15-2010, 06:46 PM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl.Luhr View Post
The rule of thumb is always clean it well if you are putting it away for months. I like to clean between range sessions but that isn't totally needed if you are shooting again a few days later. It is important to wipe off the exterior with a silicon rag to protect the finish from the oils and acids in your skin. This should be done whenever the rifle is handled.

Karl
It is like 3 weeks until the opening of Rifle season. My concern is not wanting the Rifle to smell oilly and alert the deer, Any solutions
Old 11-15-2010, 07:42 PM
B&C 140 Class

Don't clean the barrel after you have sighted it in and are waiting to take it hunting soon. Without a little fouling in the barrel your point of impact may be different than when there is a little fouling. Just wipe the excess oil off of the rifle before taking it hunting.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:52 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default My rifles go this way...

I try to make a point of keeping them wiped off with the silicon rag after each range session and each day in the field. I clean the bore several times over the spring/summer/fall range shooting season. I hunt with the bore left as it was the last time out or at most one of the new pull through cleaners pulled through it dry. I don't want any solvents or oils in the bore when I hunt as it could change where the first round will go. I will after the hunting season clean the bore with solvent and oil it up for the storage time over the winter. This is just my way, your mileage may vary.

Karl
Old 11-15-2010, 08:04 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl.Luhr View Post
. I don't want any solvents or oils in the bore when I hunt as it could change where the first round will go.

Karl
Just throwin this in there, oil in your bore could also blow up your gun because of the pressure...that's not something a person would want.